Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 month old DD has been sick for what feels like an eternity at this point. She has been through about 5 colds and 4 stomach flu's since November. I know a lot of people have been really really sick this season as it really is a bad one.

But here comes the problem:

My step son has been diagnosed with Mono. Originally they thought he had Kawasaki Disease but the tests were negative. He is 16 years old. I can't believe Kaiser waited so long to test him for mono since I think it is a pretty common teenage virus to contract (the kissing disease). They have been running various tests for 2 weeks to try and figure out what is making him so sick. He was in bad shape. High fever, couldn't get out of bed, rash, massive headache.

So our backstory here is that DD (15 month old) was really sick with a high fever and cold symptoms along with vomiting and diarreah about 2 weeks ago. She does go to daycare so it is possible she may have been the one to give it to him. But because we have been through the flu season of hell, we didn't take her to the dr as we had on the other occasions because we kind of knew the routine (BRAT, fluids, watch for dehydration, etc). But she has this persistant runny nose and cough that wont quit. Also, she has a rash around her mouth and nose (little red dots). We assumed it is because in the middle of all of this, she decided to cut 4 teeth (2 molars and two smaller ones). She does have an appt with the PED for monday to have the rash and cough checked out.

Any advise on what I should do? Should I keep my step son from coming around the baby? I read all the info on Mono and it does say it is contageous for weeks to months afterwards. DH and MIL are really upsetting me because they are insisting I am crazy for trying to keep DD from being exposed to whatever he had (even before we knew what it was I said she had to stay away, along with whoever had been in their home).

DD had a blood test prior to getting sick and her white cell counts were low so I know she has a compromised immune system. She really hasn't been better since back in November.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I watch a 19 month old who came down with mono a few weeks ago. My 15 month old ds was exposed and came down with the same symptoms. Both children were diagnosed with bronchiolitis and I assume they both ended up with mono although my ds was never tested.

Everything I read said that unlike when it hits teens and adults, mono is extremely common and mild in young children and babies. I wasn't concerned about ds picking it up.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Oh yes, and I wanted to add that according to a lot of the sources I read early exposure to mono helps develop a lifetime immunity so like CP I'd rather him pick it up now at 15 months while it's mild instead of as a teen when it would really wipe him out.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
What does your doctor think? Have you asked? I had mono when I was 5 and I also had shingles and a kidney infection the same year. I ended up pretty sick, had to take spoonfuls of cod liver oil yuck. It was a pretty significant disease when I had it. I know every kid is different but since she has already been assaulted it seems like a hard disease to add on top of everything else. Has she already been exposed though?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, we believe she has been exposed already. She kisses her brothers whenever they visit and the last visit was almost 3 weeks ago. He started showing symptoms about 2 days after he left from our weekend visit. DD got really sick that week too. Stomach flu, cold and decided to pop 4 teeth through, including two molars all at the same time.

I was wondering if it is possible she gave him Mono. She has not been tested yet and I have a call in to the Dr.'s office about getting her tested. SHe does have an appt on monday to have them check her persistant cough and runny nose.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dawn1221 View Post
Yes, we believe she has been exposed already. She kisses her brothers whenever they visit and the last visit was almost 3 weeks ago. He started showing symptoms about 2 days after he left from our weekend visit. DD got really sick that week too. Stomach flu, cold and decided to pop 4 teeth through, including two molars all at the same time.

I was wondering if it is possible she gave him Mono. She has not been tested yet and I have a call in to the Dr.'s office about getting her tested. SHe does have an appt on monday to have them check her persistant cough and runny nose.
It is entirely possible. When I had it none of my other three siblings nor my parents got it so perhaps they were all immune? Hopefully things work out well for her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.