Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from a 5 day trip without my nursing 15 month old DD. When I left, she was nursing on demand, anywhere from 4-10 times a day. I left on Thursday morning (nursing right before I left), pumped 4 times a day while gone and returned last night (Monday) before her bedtime. My mom had taken care of her and bottle fed her EBM while I was gone.

When I went to put her to bed last night, she pointed to the bottle my mom had already gotten ready and asked for milk. I pulled up my shirt to nurse her and she looked at me like I was nuts and refused to latch on. I finally got her to open her mouth by putting the bottle near her and basically tricking her. There was no let down, so no milk. She was barely sucking (she had been using a NB nipple, but that's still pretty fast comparatively I guess). I tried to nurse her again at 2, 3, 6, 8, and 10. Still no let down. She sucks very weakly, like it is a bottle and seems she has forgotten how to do it to get milk from me.

I would be heartbroken if this was how our nursing relationship ended. She's my baby and I didn't want to force her to stop by taking this trip, but to be honest I didn't even *think* about troubles on my return because of the bottle (prior to the trip I very rarely bottle fed her - maybe once a month).

I searched and found some relactation info, but I know I'm still lactating. And she is now "latching", just not sucking strong enough or in the right way.

Can we fix this?????

·
Registered
780 Posts
Could you manually express some milk into her mouth while she's latched so she 'remembers' why she's there? That might help her work a little harder for it.

I hope you can find the help you need (and second the LLL idea) because it would be a sad way to end it! Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.