Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 month old DD has been awful about screaming/screeching at the top of her lungs lately and I just don't know what to do about it. She really only does it at restaurants, when we aren't feeding her fast enough even though we are doing it as fast as we possibly can. One of us has to solely feed her because if we take a second to feed ourselves she will loose it! She sometimes does it at home, even though I am giving her my undivided attention, if I am doing something else and she comes up to me to hand me a toy- say I am making dinner, I notice her, say something to her ('you want mommy to have that toy? Hold on just a second ') while I dry my hands/wash them or whatever. But that 5 seconds that I am washing my hands she will scream. At home I try to ignore just while she's screaming, when she takes a quick break I will kneel down and tell her that's not nice, we don't scream or whatever, and go about whatever we were doing. At restaurants if we try to ignore her she continues the ear piercing scream and I cannot just ignore it with other people around. It's not right that others have to hear it. I have told her to stop screaming very stern, I just don't know what in the world to do and it's so unbelievably frustrating and irritating. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
722 Posts
It's such an annoying phase isn't it? It does get better. I always just take DS outside if he does this. Usually he gets the message.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Take her aside for a time out immediately and firmly tell her to stop and remind her that it makes other people mad. This is a lesson on how to behave in public and considering other peoples enjoyment. After her time out, offer her to do a quiet activity, a snack, something that will keep her content enough to not let out the air horn sounds. But please don't ignore the loud shouting. I see so many parents do this and it only makes the kids louder and act out even more. I've seen some parents actually condone the behavior and say it's cute or that the kid is exercising their lungs. Uh, they don't need anymore exercise. My ears are bleeding.
Just recently, at Walmart, this lady had her kid in a shopping cart playing with these VERY loud musical play instruments. Since it was late, the Walmart wasn't that busy, you could hear the noise from the otherside of the store clearly. And that's a BIG store.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Take her aside for a time out immediately and firmly tell her to stop and remind her that it makes other people mad. This is a lesson on how to behave in public and considering other peoples enjoyment. After her time out, offer her to do a quiet activity, a snack, something that will keep her content enough to not let out the air horn sounds. But please don't ignore the loud shouting. I see so many parents do this and it only makes the kids louder and act out even more. I've seen some parents actually condone the behavior and say it's cute or that the kid is exercising their lungs. Uh, they don't need anymore exercise. My ears are bleeding.
Just recently, at Walmart, this lady had her kid in a shopping cart playing with these VERY loud musical play instruments. Since it was late, the Walmart wasn't that busy, you could hear the noise from the otherside of the store clearly. And that's a BIG store.
A time out for a 15month old?!?!??!? NO. They won't understand, it won't actually work, and it just prolongs the amount of time other people hear the screeching.

And what on earth does a normal toddler phase have to do with what some rude woman decided to do with her kids?

Tobydog01, if you've got a kid in a screeching phase, then you need to be in a take-out/delivery phase if you want restaurant food. When you're in places like the grocery store and the kids' section of the library, where noise may be disturbing but isn't actually 'wrong', then you can begin to introduce the idea of an indoor voice. Won't actually do anything for another 6 months or more, but you can get some groundwork in with praising when she uses a quiet tone.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree that it is just a phase and I also think that they dont understand the time out.
Is it frustrating for us? yes!!
Is it worth it to hold your anger and remind yourself your tiny toddler doesnt know what to do with those overwelming feelings?yes!

We bring toys..books at the restaurant. We let her play with food, like at home, and most important we learned to dont care about other people reactions. You know your baby and you know she loves you more than anything and you know that when you tune with her everything is fine. Fallow your instinct. What if for now you go to really easy going places for dinner where even if she screams it doesnt really matter...or if you go out for a pik-nik and you let her play with food and feed herself?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts