Mothering Forum banner

15 month regression?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mjosta 
#1 ·
She had it down, pee and poo in the toilet, for months now. Cloth diapers in-between. Taught her sign language to let us know when she had to go, or, if it had been a while we'd just plop her down and she's either go or sign 'done'. Caught most. Then all of a sudden, at almost 15 months she stopped, she'll still poop in the toilet, but won't pee, she'll grab hold of me and pull herself off the toilet, or if I stand far enough away she'll just cry. Peed on the changing table after a bath last night, all others are going in diaper.

Any thoughts?

Not sure which way to go here, just keep encouraging her to get back on track or maybe stop using cloth diapers all together?

#2 ·
yup, pretty typical time for "potty pauses" It's a big developmental stage, with lots of new stuff going on (walking, talking, etc) and pottying goes to the bottom of the priority list =)

Try to catch the easy pottying times (just after nap, after eating, etc, whatever are the easy times for the 2 of you) and make sure she's got lots of potties available where she hangs out and just keep talking to her about it ("oh, you got your pants wet, let's change those and next time we'll get it in the potty so you can stay dry") Use as much back-up diapering/training pants as you need to stay relaxed - I started a 3 strikes rule with my oldest when I figured out that by the 3rd miss of the day, at least one of us was not up for pottying right then so the pants would go on until I felt more with it ;-).

And maybe do a search for "potty pauses" or "potty strikes" to see how normal it is and how you've done nothing wrong :thumb

#4 ·
yup, pretty typical time for "potty pauses" It's a big developmental stage, with lots of new stuff going on (walking, talking, etc) and pottying goes to the bottom of the priority list =)

Try to catch the easy pottying times (just after nap, after eating, etc, whatever are the easy times for the 2 of you) and make sure she's got lots of potties available where she hangs out and just keep talking to her about it ("oh, you got your pants wet, let's change those and next time we'll get it in the potty so you can stay dry") Use as much back-up diapering/training pants as you need to stay relaxed - I started a 3 strikes rule with my oldest when I figured out that by the 3rd miss of the day, at least one of us was not up for pottying right then so the pants would go on until I felt more with it ;-).

And maybe do a search for "potty pauses" or "potty strikes" to see how normal it is and how you've done nothing wrong :thumb
Thanks Robin. She seems to be slowly getting back to it. I will definitely be reading more about "potty pauses." Appreciate your help :)

#3 ·
we have the same issue

Same probem here: We hardly had to change a poopy diaper between 9 months and 14 months but for the last few weeks she refuses to sit on the potty long enough to do anything. I'll put her on and she crawls off or uses something nearby to stand up. (She is not quite walking yet.)

I'll put her on the potty and she refuses, then a couple minutes later we have a wet diaper.

She does come over and get in my face whenever she poops, but she just won't go in the potty anymore.

I'd be interested in any advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.