Mothering Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 yo daughter asked us if she could be a nudist. We should have seen this coming. I'll try to give a little history, and keep it brief.

First she has two younger brothers. 8 and 12.

The summer before this last one. She was 13 almost 14, she wanted to swim in the pool without her swimsuit. We told her that would be okay as long as only our family was around. She would just wear a towel, go out swim, and play by the pool. I also noticed she started sleeping naked, and hanging out in her room naked.

This summer past, the first day we opened the pool, she came down stairs, and strolled through the house naked. She would even come inside for lunch naked, and I always have to ask her to cover up. Then she would just put on a long tee shirt.

The pool is closed for the winter. She's been very casual about being naked. She come downstairs every morning for breakfast without any clothes on. After school she does homework in her room...of course sans clothes. She makes no effort to cover up if she goes to the rest room, or come downstairs for a drink.

We had a talk to her about it the other night. She said she wants to be a nudist. She asked if we would allow her be nude at home, all the time.

My husband and I have been talking it over. He says we should let her, if it doesn't bother her, it doesn't bother him.
I'm about to give in, but there will be no turning back. I guess I'm just a bit uptight.

So, I though I would post this question here, and see what other parent thought. Without have to bring it up to our friends and family. Thanks so much.

Jess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for all your replies. Sorry I have not gotten back here sooner, but I've been really busy.

The update is that we've decided to allow her to be a nudist. We told her on Nov. 1st. It's been almost a month now, and honestly it already has become the norm. I almost don't notice, except for being being on top of making sure the curtains are drawn in the evening. I'm a little envious of how comfortable she is naked. I've tried going nude a couple of times in the last few weeks, and I'm just too self conscious. The boys show no interest in nudity, of course, we'd let them if they wanted.

The only issue is what to do when company comes over. We don't want any mixed messages, to either her or the boys. This issue is at the fore front, because we're having Thanksgiving dinner at our house. We told her that she needs to wear a nice outfit for dinner, and she agreed that it would be inappropriate to be naked when guests arrive, and at the dinner table. We comprimised by telling her that after dinner, when every one is either watching football or playing in the rec room, she is welcome to take off her clothes. Between my husband and I we have a huge family, so it's been a lot of work to them what to expect. We've told them all that basically, we now have a "clothing optional" home, although, Sara is the only one who takes advantage. They've all been unbelievably supportive and open minded.

We still need to talk to other people, like the parents of her brothers friends. The experience with our family is encouraging though, and so are most of the opinions here. As far as CPS is concerned, we talked to our lawer, and there are no laws against family members being nude in the home. Where her friends, and most of all her brothers friends are concerned, we need to be careful. We know Sara has been naked in front of her friends and her brothers friends around the pool already. We never allowed it, but she would just jump in the pool naked out of habit. I told her many times to put on a swimsuit because there we're young boys present. She's never been shy about nudity around her own friends, she's always naked when they're in her room, or the rec room. I don't see that being a problem though.

Concerns about my husband are silly, although I understand your concern. He's a very laid back, open minded guy. I laugh though, when I see him turning the thermostat down in the evening. Passive aggressive? Yes, but funny.

Thanks, Jess

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.