Mothering Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Its natural to be nude. I dont see what the cps has to do with it. I think for reasons of hygiene, she should wear underwear, or some sort of towel for when she sits down. This is what i do, i am also mostly half naked at home.

As for her brothers, all the better for them that they learn to be comfortable around the natural human female body.

Growing up, we had a babysitter, that for some reason never wore a shirt. At first i felt embarrassed, but quickly got used to it, until i didnt notice it.

Once she opened the door to a neighbor, forgetting to cover herself, it was funny to see the shocked expression of the neighbor. Our babysitter quickly grabbed a tea towel and covered herself up, with an apologetic laugh.

I dont think that being comfortable around naked people is a sign that you are a pervert or sexually abusing your daughter (as far as your husband is concerned).

I dont think you are uptight for feeling a bit uncomfortable at first. I think you will get used to it with time.

I dont see why she cant be naked in her own home. Let her be comfortable in her own body, ....and please people, stop bringing the cps into it....

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I just think this is silly. U got boys at home. Think about them too
Is it silly because of the boys at home? The boys were mentioned as a consideration in the post.

Is it silly because it requires a bit of thought, and sensitivity, maybe some exploration and experimentation of something different? Something you have never heard of, something outside of the realm of complete mediocrity?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I would be uncomfortable with it and that is ok. Everyone has different comfort levels in their home. I think everyone in the house should be ok with it before it happens. That shows respect for others.
I think CPS should be considered in this discussion. Not because they should be called but because they Could be called. There are a lot of outside people who wouldn't think this is ok and call CPS. There is that reality.
I think it is a personal choice that only that family can make. The big thing is respect for others. Personally, I think it wise if you asked her to wear clothing when people came over to protect yourselves and for respect to the person coming over. :)
I agree that you should be clothed when answering the door.
I dont think the cps should enter the equation. Do you mean the daughter should refrain from telling her friends she is a nudist in her home for fear they will call the cps?
Just dont answer the door to the cps. This is supposed to be a democracy, not a police state.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I think it should be thought about. Yes, they could be called on. They may say that it is abuse to have a 15 year old girl walking around naked in front of her impressionable brothers. They could turn it sexual in their minds with the daughter and the father. It doesn't make it right but it does make it a reality. I don't think this should make her decision but I do think it should be considered.
Maybe things are different in the states than Canada. CAS can get involved for eating habits, homeschooling, poor dental hygiene... It isn't common but it does happen. There is that possibility.
I understand what you are saying. But when you say 'thought about', how do those thoughts translate into action? Do they tell their daughter-dont tell anyone.... do they make it sound like she needs to keep it a secret?

I think if that is the case, then someone needs to step in, and say, no, a child choosing to be nude does not equate to abuse, and its none of the business of the cps or anyone else.

Just dont open the door to the cps if you have a nosy somebody calling for no good reason. Any person could call for any reason.

And being nude is the natural state of things, for this reason, i believe, like other posters that the 15yo is making a reasonable, albiet unusual by our cultural standards, request.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Actually I believe that everyone's comfort in the home should be considered. Don't really have much else to say. We just disagree. :)
We agree that everyone's comfort in the home should be considered. I think that point was covered and is not relevant to the issue of the cps you raised.

We dont agree that the cps should be involved, or that in principle, should be considered, if it means bringing shame or secrecy into the issue. Im still not sure what you meant by 'thought about", since you didnt expand on that point.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I would not say that we are nudest at all, but we all tend to strip as soon as we get home and sleep naked. However, I never let my kids have clothes off around people that don't live in our home(ie mom, dad, and siblings). It is natural for people to look at another's body sexually and it invites inappropriate opportunities.

The way she is acting about it makes me think this is more about exploring sexuality than about wanting to be more natural

The bolded is something entirely in your imagination. There is no evidence at all that this is the case. You may confuse nudism with sex, but that doesnt meant they are the same thing. I actually find what you say offensive.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
As far as nudity is concerned, it depends on what you are used to, and the attitude towards nudity you grew up with. I cant imagine imposing a rule that my 3yo's bottom be covered. To me that is just ludicrous. However, our 3yo mostly chooses to dress herself, and is very particular that it be pink, purple and sparkly. A year ago, she was almost always naked. Either way, no big deal.

When it gets too hot here, (ie excessive indoor heating), we are mostly scantily clad, older boys, myself and 3yo included. We are comfortable with that, because that is what we are used to.

There are enough problems in this world, without making the naked human body yet another one. Naked, or clothed, its not a problem in our home.

1 - 10 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.