Mothering Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Child wellbeing trumps parental comfort.
Not commenting specifically on the nudity issue, just more generally. I agree with you if we're talking about a baby or a toddler. I think, however, that as kids move towards adulthood -- and it's a gradual spectrum that varies with the maturity of the child -- there's less of a clear case for their comfort trumping that of the adults in the home. I think that one of the main jobs of parents is to teach their kids that other people's feelings matter too. Not by trumping their kids back: I don't think anyone trumping anyone is really the model for interpersonal conflict. Empathy and mature relationships take root when people choose to work out compromises and mutually agreeable alternatives, to participate in a bit of given and take, to seek to understand and take the perspective of others. It's not a question of whose needs take precedence but of having an honest think about whose behaviours are intruding most upon the feelings and desires of others, what is most necessary and most desired by whom and why, where the flexibility is and where more might be gained, the feelings fuelling the desires and so on.

Miranda

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Oh yeah, I noticed. I didn't respond initially, because I was pretty sure it was one of *those* posts. But the discussion that evolved was interesting.

Miranda

Reactions: lauren

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
My suspicion has always been that there was a trolling element to this thread. The original poster only ever contributed to this one thread, and hasn't returned to MDC since a week after it was posted. I wouldn't hold my breath for an update.

miranda

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
If you are uncomfortable with nudity in your home, own it, don't try to pass it off as trying to teach social rules.
I think it's a more nuanced than being a matter of teaching "social rules." A respectful well-socialized person, unless there are compelling reasons to the contrary, avoids behaving in ways that make others uncomfortable or inconvenience them. Empathy means taking the subtleties of others' experiences into account, and respectfully weighing our own words and actions against those.

There are plenty of low-level inconveniences and concerns that could result from a teen's nudity, some of which have been raised up-thread. For example, it's reasonably likely that a younger sibling, if his school friends found out, would be teased and bullied about his sister's habits of nudity.

A teen has a right to be nude in her own home, just as I have the right to free speech. Rights are absolute. But whether it is good, kind, empathetic and respectful to exercise those rights fully in ways that have a negative impact on others, that's not a black and white issue. To me it really comes down to whether the teen's reasons for wanting to be nude are compelling enough to outweigh any ongoing inconvenience or discomfort produced in others around them.

Miranda

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.