Mothering Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
I agree with Sharlla, 3yo is old enough to keep something over their bottoms. Heat shouldn't matter because you can be just as cool and comfy in under pants or a pull up as they could be in the nude.
Also why should it matter if the bathroom door is open or closed? Does your family make it a habit to keep it open regardless of what actions they're taking IN the bathroom, their state of undress, or the company in the house? That seems slightly awkward to me. I don't think I'd visit friends is they were pooping with the door open or other type of PERSONAL functions while they have guests over.

Just my two cents.
Friends aren't family. I never actually said what we do in our house, I was just surprised. My children have sensory issues, and as such, they cannot stand underwear, so please don't assume everyone can easily be comfortable in underpants. My point was, I don't think many 3 year olds are ready to bathe, dress, and toilet alone yet, so it seems a bit young for them to always be covered even just around family. While many are saying total nudity is extreme, I think expecting a 3 year old to always be covered and take care of their bathroom needs alone is a bit extreme, but then all children develop differently. Also, it probably does depend on the region - in some states, such as Florida, family nudity is illegal, but it's more well-tolerated on the West Coast.

Reactions: contactmaya

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
are you being serious?
You stated that bottoms must be covered at 3, implying at that age you don't want to see their bottoms (which could easily mean they must bathe, toilet, and dress alone so nobody else has to see it).

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
in some states, such as Florida, family nudity is illegal, but it's more well-tolerated on the West Coast.
Private nudity is not illegal in Florida. I live near Playalinda Beach, I'm familiar with the issue. In fact, we can be nude outside, on our own private property, as long as neighbors cannot see us. And no lewd intent, toward children or adults, of course.

Family nudity is not expressly illegal.

That said, my sons and I no longer spend time together unclothed. It would just be weird for us. One is a grown man and the other will be soon. Long gone are the days of showering with a toddler just to keep him from doing something horrible while unsupervised for a whole 10 minutes.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Private nudity is not illegal in Florida. I live near Playalinda Beach, I'm familiar with the issue. In fact, we can be nude outside, on our own private property, as long as neighbors cannot see us. And no lewd intent, toward children or adults, of course.

Family nudity is not expressly illegal.

That said, my sons and I no longer spend time together unclothed. It would just be weird for us. One is a grown man and the other will be soon. Long gone are the days of showering with a toddler just to keep him from doing something horrible while unsupervised for a whole 10 minutes.
I have heard differently. I have heard that parents are not allowed to be nude in front of their own children. I haven't heard about what the rules are in reverse, though. Maybe it's not written specifically that way, but a friend in Florida said she could get in trouble if her children saw her nude and anyone outside the family found out.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
You stated that bottoms must be covered at 3, implying at that age you don't want to see their bottoms (which could easily mean they must bathe, toilet, and dress alone so nobody else has to see it).
i meant like in common areas of the house. we have a 17 year old and 10 year old of the opposite sex in the house and i don't think having older girls walk around and vice versa is appropriate. parents can assist children who are too young to dress and bathe alone behind closed doors. if they are out of the bathroom they need to have on at least underwear

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
As far as nudity is concerned, it depends on what you are used to, and the attitude towards nudity you grew up with. I cant imagine imposing a rule that my 3yo's bottom be covered. To me that is just ludicrous. However, our 3yo mostly chooses to dress herself, and is very particular that it be pink, purple and sparkly. A year ago, she was almost always naked. Either way, no big deal.

When it gets too hot here, (ie excessive indoor heating), we are mostly scantily clad, older boys, myself and 3yo included. We are comfortable with that, because that is what we are used to.

There are enough problems in this world, without making the naked human body yet another one. Naked, or clothed, its not a problem in our home.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I have heard differently. I have heard that parents are not allowed to be nude in front of their own children. I haven't heard about what the rules are in reverse, though. Maybe it's not written specifically that way, but a friend in Florida said she could get in trouble if her children saw her nude and anyone outside the family found out.
Probably what your friend meant is that she was afraid of being reported to DCF. DCF can pull kids for something is not explicitly illegal if they think it endangers the children. DCF is pretty good at ruining people's lives. That doesn't change the fact that there is no law in Florida that says family members of different generations can't be nude together in the home.

As far as nudity is concerned, it depends on what you are used to, and the attitude towards nudity you grew up with. I cant imagine imposing a rule that my 3yo's bottom be covered. To me that is just ludicrous. However, our 3yo mostly chooses to dress herself, and is very particular that it be pink, purple and sparkly. A year ago, she was almost always naked. Either way, no big deal.

When it gets too hot here, (ie excessive indoor heating), we are mostly scantily clad, older boys, myself and 3yo included. We are comfortable with that, because that is what we are used to.

There are enough problems in this world, without making the naked human body yet another one. Naked, or clothed, its not a problem in our home.
Yes, exactly! The other day my teen barged into my room and almost but not quite caught me walking out of the en suite completely naked. No big deal. We laughed about it and I reminded him that the lock was broken and when he meets resistance opening the door it means I have propped it closed, and OH YEAH, don't just walk in to anyone's room without knocking, I don't do it to you, don't do it to me. But we don't just, like, sit on the couch and eat ice cream and watch Top Gear together butt nekkid.

OTOH, I grew up with sisters and a single mother and we all walked around naked at times. It was no big deal to walk across the hall to the linen closet after a shower if you forgot to bring a towel in with you. I still recall that horrible day when I was about 14 and was chatting with my mom as she got out of the shower and I realized that pubes grayed with age, too! LOL

Seriously, though, no one wants to see me naked, it's not pretty. So on the rare occasions that I'm home alone, I clean the house naked. Otherwise, I keep it covered.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.