Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15mo ds has started getting rashes on his face (cheeks and chin--very centralized around his mouth) very frequently after meals. The very first time I noticed it was about a month ago after we'd had PB&J for lunch. My first thought was oh shoot he's allergic to peanuts. No one in my family or dh's family has food allergies. Regardless, I held off on letting ds have dairy, peanut products, etc till after he was one. However, this incident was not the first time he had had peanut butter--it was like the 3rd or 4th--and I had never seen the rash before. All the same I figured I should keep him away from peanut stuff.<br><br>
But he continues to get the rash. Now he's getting it almost every time he eats. It usually dissapates in a couple of hours, but it can be quite red. It's raised, often bumpy, and looks painful. It is ALWAYS very centered on his mouth.<br>
Now it has hit me that maybe this has nothing to do with WHAT he's eating, but more with the fact of HOW he's eating--namely that he's started feeding himself and getting food smeared all over his skin (he always wanted me to spoon feed him until recently). I think perhaps he just has super duper sensitive skin...but to break out EVERY TIME he gets food on his face...should I be worried? Why did this not happen until recently? Why does it not happen when he gets breastmilk all over his face?<br><br>
My gut tells me it's just sensitive skin...on the other hand, if there's something I can do to prevent/avoid/lesson this, I certainly want to. He doesn't seem bothered by it, but I hurt just seeing that sore skin!

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
That sounds like the rash my son gets when he eats cashews or chocolate. And for the cashews, I've noticed it, but to a lesser extent, for foods that are processed on the same machinery (so some brands of almonds but not others, for example). Before I figured out what was going on (now we avoid the problematic foods), I'd notice that the more often he ate an offending food, the less it took to make the rash return, and the brighter it would be. I had to start a food diary to figure out our problematic foods.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts