Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is very similar to some other threads out there now, but I didn't want to hijack...

My DD is 16 months old and for the past couple of weeks has been fighting sleep for hours both for nap and bedtimes. Getting her to give in and go to sleep has been taking 1-2 hours of rocking and singing. I don't believe that she is ready to give up napping as she will melt down from being so tired. I've always been a believer in her listening to her body, but on the few occasions that I've let her delay her nap she'll sleep from 3-5ish and then be up until midnight and sleep until 11 the next morning! And then the next day she will nap a little later and go to bed later and so on. This doesn't really work for any of us.

She has never nursed to sleep but she does nurse before nap & bed.

Everyone I've talked to IRL life says to put her in a crib and shut the door.

I really hope this is a phase, because I really don't want to regret AP which I'm starting to do

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
mine was doing this for the past 1-2 months and juuussst in the past few nights seems to have turned the corner!!! I mean, going from sleeping 2-3 am until 11-12 the next day, like yours. And now she's been going more like 9:30 to 9:30/10 am. I didn't do anything, change anything, of course not CIO, it just happened. So keep holding out!

as far as ppl saying put her in a crib and shut the door...
: When is the last time they cried by themselves in the dark alone and was it good for them?

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
My DD is 16 months and we are running into the same thing. I used to be able to rock her to sleep if she didn't fall asleep nursing, but now she gets upset if I try to rock her - she knows I'm trying to put her to sleep.

Now I take her into our room, close the door, turn out the light and lie down in the bed. She nurses, gets up, talks, etc. but eventually she settles down beside me and falls asleep. Tonight it took 45 minutes. This afternoon it took maybe 20 minutes - we laid down in bed and she conked out while nursing. I can't lay in bed with her for a long time during the day, because I also have DS (4). If she doesn't crash out in half an hour and I really want her to sleep, we go for a drive.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I've had the same thing start happening with my 15 month old. But she would scream her head off if I tried putting her in her crib and shutting the door! lol
The only thing that seems to work right now is putting her on the floor and letting her run around for 15-20 min. Then I pick her up and go up to bed and she'll settle down and nurse to sleep. Otherwise she jumps up and down on the bed and laughs while I am fighting off sleep!
It does seem to be getting a little better now, it's almost like she needed to change her naptime and bedtime. Now instead of 12, her nap is at 1.

Deb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.