Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my baby girl has had a cough for two days now and today her throat started sounding raspy and she has a low grade fever.

she seems okay during the day but this is the second night in a row that she has fallen asleep only to wake up every couple hours or so crying and acting like she is in pain.....she won't nurse either, just cries as i rock her back to sleep, but even then she is thrashy and restless.

i'm going to call her doctor in the morning, but i am a bit frustrated because i know all she is going to do is throw antibiotics at me.

does anyone have advice for me? is there some tea that might soothe her sore throat or anything else that has worked for you guys? so far all i have given her is the Hyland's C Plus Cold Tablets but they don't seem to make too much of a difference.

TY in advance!!!!

· Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
in case anyone cares.......

the doctor said she has croup, but didnt give me prescriptions........so other than a humidifier i really don't know what to do to help my little girl feel better.

:

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Homeopathic remedies work great with croup! Try this remedy finder.......
http://www.abchomeopathy.com/go.php
put "croup" in there and then finish the questionare. It will tell you which remedy to buy. If you have a local health store that carry Boiron homeopoathic remedies go buy it and give it to her. It works like a charm! NO antibiotics necessary.

This is how Boiron homeopathic look like - usually small blue tubes. http://www.ehealthland.com/

Let me know if you have any questions. I have a great **** about homeopathy, I could look it up for you. Good luck to her.

· Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yin Yang
Homeopathic remedies work great with croup! Try this remedy finder.......
http://www.abchomeopathy.com/go.php
put "croup" in there and then finish the questionare. It will tell you which remedy to buy. If you have a local health store that carry Boiron homeopoathic remedies go buy it and give it to her. It works like a charm! NO antibiotics necessary.

This is how Boiron homeopathic look like - usually small blue tubes. http://www.ehealthland.com/

Let me know if you have any questions. I have a great **** about homeopathy, I could look it up for you. Good luck to her.
thanks so much for the advice, guys. i picked up some boiron homeopathics today, one for chest congestion, and one for the croup. i'll let you know how they work out!

she's still really miserable, and she started running a fever of 101 again today.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
It can take up to 2 weeks for a child to recover from a cough. IMO a fever is a good sign that the body is working to defend in full force.
My son currently has strep I can see white bumps in his throat. I can see that his body is doing a fine job of fighting the bacteria because he is improving with each day and his energy and mental state are returning to normal this has taken 1wk3daysfrom first fever
. His body will be stronger for it and we will have no recurrent infections which often happens when antibiotics are used.
I am using a throat spray that I made with honey, oregon grape root tincture, echinacea root tinc, and garlic. Strep is rarely dangerous in a well nourished rested child!
i I wish you healing

· Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the encouragement. even though i know in my head that i have been sort of brainwashed to be fever-neurotic it is still hard not to worry when my dd has been sick for over a week now. in the last two days her fever has shot up to around 101-102.5 intermittently. i guess that i would have just hoped that after a week of this she would be getting better, not worse. on the other hand, i did get the spongia that the boiron homeopathics recommended for her croup, as well as the honey based cough syrup and her cough is amazingly improved in the last day. its just her fever and overall sick/mood change/lack of appetite, etc. that is so worrisome to me. she has never been like this before.

· Registered
9,002 Posts
My dd had a fever and sinus cold (no coughing) for a month. I finally broke down and gave her cod liver oil 1/2 teaspoon daily, vit c and also gave her more fruit than usual for bonus vit. c and her horrible cold was suddenly gone in 3 days. Her fever came back and I thought it was an ear infection but turned out she was cutting 3 teeth!

Just push fluids, any food is good but don't worry as long as she drinks.

· Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pilesoflaundry
My dd had a fever and sinus cold (no coughing) for a month. I finally broke down and gave her cod liver oil 1/2 teaspoon daily, vit c and also gave her more fruit than usual for bonus vit. c and her horrible cold was suddenly gone in 3 days. Her fever came back and I thought it was an ear infection but turned out she was cutting 3 teeth!

Just push fluids, any food is good but don't worry as long as she drinks.
she has been drinking about half of what is normal for her........her diapers are not very wet at all........that is part of what is worrying me. at what point do i worry about dehydration.....or what do i look for?

· Registered
4,420 Posts
Dehydration: dry lips, dry mouth... going back to infant wet and poo checks, I'd say if she is wetting once in the morning and once in the afternoon and once at night or early morning she is probably okay. Remember she isn't drinking as much so her out put will be less.
The skin pinch test -- pull up the skin if it stays she isn't hydrated enough.

A fever in the range of 102 to 103 isn't really anything to "freak" out about. Watch it of course, but the body is doing it's thing. I personally have concern at 103 and freak out at 104plus.

Cat nip tea is suppose to aid in fever reduction. My herbalist said put it in the bath if the child won't drink it.

I'd make sure I was wetting her mouth every 30 min to an hour, if I had any concern about dehydration. Even water or oral electrolyte solution in the mouth will be absorbed. Emergan -C (SP) is what I was told to use for fluids instead of electrolyte solutions which contain aspertame.

Puppyfluffer on another thread (Help fever QUICK something like that) stated that you can hydrate a child with a bulb syring with fluid in the buttox. I'd read that thread, it's in Health and Healing today's line up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.