Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi all,</p>
<p>Wow - just came back from a playdate and need some advice.  My usually sweet and loving 16month old boy was a pushing, shoving nightmare at his friend's house!  He basically wanted each toy that his little hostess touched and would barrel over to her and either shove her away from the toy or rip her hands off of it!  I was shocked and kinda embarassed.  Yes, I know he's just a toddler and sometimes "that's what they do," but I've truly never seen this behavior before and couldn't believe my eyes.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The first few times it happened, I stopped him, held his little hands and said sternly, "Look at Mama - no pushing.  Gentle touches, please.  We take turns with toys.  Here, you play with ______ instead."  I know that he is too young to have any concept of sharing yet, but wow.  He doesn't have to be a brute ;)   Eventually I just proactively diverted his attention.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I fully intend to get the Sear's Discipline Book, but in the meantime Mamas, how on earth do I handle this swiftly, but with love and respect?<br><br>
Many thanks!</p>

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
<p>I think you handled it exactly the way I would have. What else can you do really? Some babies are the aggressor and some the aggressed (or whatever the term). Last time my baby was the one being bullied and this time I have the bully. Yep, he's already barking orders at DD and biting. Yikes!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>When we go to playdates, I just basically hover around him to protect the babies he comes in contact with. </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts