Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
I don't want this to sound like I am minimizing this poor young woman's death in any way. It is tragic. I am fearful that we will hear many more stories like this in the near future as Bush Co. strives to dig up as much shock and dirt as they can on Iran, so that he will have support when he invades Iran next.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by artgoddess
I don't want this to sound like I am minimizing this poor young woman's death in any way. It is tragic. I am fearful that we will hear many more stories like this in the near future as Bush Co. strives to dig up as much shock and dirt as they can on Iran, so that he will have support when he invades Iran next.
Acctually this was from Blair Co.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Quote:
I am fearful that we will hear many more stories like this in the near future as Bush Co. strives to dig up as much shock and dirt as they can on Iran, so that he will have support when he invades Iran next.

Rubbish, there have been stories like this coming our of Iran and other Arab countries for years and years. It is backwards thinking and we all know women are not looked upon as equal as men in many countries like this.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts

This should provoke outcry.

I do wonder if the US has signed that treaty agreeing not to execute those under 18. I believe there are some at MDC who believe that a 16 year old who commits a crime in the US should receive an adult trial and sentence.

I was aware of the mistreatment of women in Afganistan under the Taliban because of women's organizations prior to the attacks on New York and Washington. It did seem to me that new reports of this mistreatment were given much greater play as we began our justification of our overseas military actions.

I'd like to see the lives of the poor: men, women and children to get more play in the news *all the time.* Not just when the politicians are gearing up to justify rescuing them.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
This story is reported by the BBC, hardly a bastion of "the right," and the story itself is about a documentary about a story apparently pieced together by an Iranian journalist named Asieh Amini, who is (a google search tells me) the publisher of a newspaper and journals that the Iranian government repeatedly shuts down, and she keeps finding ways to republish. Sounds like a true feminist hero to me.

Not exactly on GWB's payroll, in other words, so I doubt she's publishing stories like this to push his foreign policy agenda.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by artgoddess
Really good point.

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Her whole life sounds like it was tragic... druggie dad, unloving grandparents, whipped 100 lashes and imprisoned, raped multiple times, then put on trial and condemned to death for being a rape victim. All before most kids here graduate high school.

I hope she is at peace now. She didn't just lie down and let them do whatever they wanted. Can you imagine the courage she needed to shout at the judge, with the type of cultural conditioning she must have had??? Brave girl!

:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:
: I have never heard of the desperation of "child witches" in the Congo, even though that is a great problem as well. Carbon seems to make problems on earth, oil... diamonds... Or perhaps the problem is really just greed?

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
merpk you are right about the source...but did you notice that about the reports of abuses against Afghani women. At the time I thought, well everyone has their eye on Afghanistan because of the ultimatum re: Osama bin Ladin so the reporters are bringing this out. How did this reporter get her story out to the BBC...it has to be one of many stories like this she has found if the executions for crimes against chastity are really increasing under the current Iranian "president." (I don't want the US attacking Iran anymore than anyone else on the left, but that guy could be called a complete nutjob if it weren't against the UA.)

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara vanÆsir
: I have never heard of the desperation of "child witches" in the Congo, even though that is a great problem as well. Carbon seems to make problems on earth, oil... diamonds... Or perhaps the problem is really just greed?

Or perhaps it is the problem of a lack of strong homegrown journalists and/or feminists determined to expose these horrors to the light of day. Just perhaps.

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Or maybe the media, the news co.'s themselves are just more willing to publish when it is about a country that is in the news already? Makes sense to me that it would be in their interest, (not BBC nec. but ones that depend on ratings) and not necessarily gov influenced. Like pp said.. greed

1 - 20 of 38 Posts