Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My son is 17.5 months old. Since he was ready for solids, we've mostly just given him family foods, never did much spoon-feeding. He is not picky at all- he'll eat just about anything- meats, raw or cooked veggies and fruits, rice, pasta, etc. He doesn't tolerate dairy (and I avoid it for the most part because he reacts to it in my diet, through nursing), and he is sensitive to wheat, though not all gluten (spelt, oats, kamut seem to be fine). Anyways, I suppose that is besides the point. So although he eats a variety of foods, the AMOUNT of food that he eats is almost nil. I'd say that over the course of a day he consumes maybe 1/4 cup or less of food. Once in a while he'll eat more for a day or two, but mostly about 1/4 cup is it, and lately it is often less than that. Part of me feels that I should trust him, and yeah, he's growing and developing fine (though of course, when he started walking (running!) he stopped gaining... he was 26 lbs at 1 year and still about that). Part of me, though, is worried that he isn't getting enough, or that he should be eating more and maybe nursing less. I'm also starting to feel really drained, though lack of sleep is probably a big cause of this- he's about to cut his 2 year molars, he's an early teether. Part of my worry likely stems from comparing him to other kids (who were spoon-fed, not just offered family foods to experiment with/eat). I babysit 3 other toddlers, and they all eat more in a single lunchtime meal than he does in probably 3 or 4 days...</p>
<p>What do you think? Should I be trying to get him to eat more? Should I quit worrying about it?</p>

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
<p>Moving out to Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy, as this is not explicitly a child-led weaning issue.</p>

·
Registered
38 Posts
<p>Are you saying he hasn't gained any weight since he was 12months?!?!?!?!  That is certainly a cause for concern.  Breastmilk does not contain sufficient calories and fat for a child of this age.  I would also be worried about his iron levels.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was having the same issues with my DD (she's 16.5mo) and she dropped on her weight charts.  Since then, I've day weaned and she's eating more solids and drinking cow's milk during the day.  I think that sometimes children don't connect that they can also satisfy hunger with food so they need some help arriving at that conclusion!!!!</p>

·
Registered
855 Posts
<p>my baby kinda peeked at 12m too. got to 20 pounds and that's where she is staying. Maybe a pound more. She's 19m and stopped eating till almost none also. She was eating 12 ounces of puree now i'm lucky to get 4 ounces into her. She'd rather run and do other things. She seems fine. *shrug*</p>

·
Registered
381 Posts
<p>Sounds like he's a fine weight for his age. We expect to see a dramatic slow down in weight gain when they become mobile. My 14 mo old has only gained a few ounces since his 12 mo well check and I'm not concerned (and I'm a PNP) and his ped is not concerned. Contrary to what the pp said, breastmilk still contains plenty of fat and calories and nutrients for your toddler. Just offer frequent snacks and a variety of nutrient dense foods to choose from and he'll eat when he's hungry. Most toddlers go through this stage, even the non-bfed ones, and they are just too busy to eat. If you give them things they can eat on the go and offer smaller meals more frequently, I find that they overall eat more.</p>

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
<p>26 lbs at one year of age is on the higher side of the spectrum, so I can totally see how his weight has remained stable since he became mobile. Babies' growth slows during the second year. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>In regard to comparing the amount of food he eats with babies who have been spoon fed, it isn't a fair comparison to make. It would be like comparing the ounces of breastmilk a baby consumes from the breast at one feeding with the ounces a baby gets from a bottle at one feeding. It is two totally different feeding methods: one is child-led where the baby is trusted to eat when hungry and stop when full, one is not. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If your son is happy, healthy, and meeting milestones, there is no need to try to replace one form of food with another. He will do that in time on his own. Just keep offering healthy food.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In regard to whether or not he is getting enough iron, you can easily have his levels tested at his ped's office to find out even <em>if</em> there is an issue. If so, it can be remedied by concentrating on giving him iron rich foods and even an iron supplement if necessary. Day weaning is NOT the first step for an iron deficiency. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Trusting your gut, watching your babe and not comparing them to other babies is really hard...especially when you are sleep deprived. Hang in there Mama! </p>

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
<p>I would cut back on nursing so that he is hungry enough to eat more solids.  It doesn't sound like he has any issues with eating per se.  Just that the milk/solid balance is off.  DS was the same way.  He needed me to teach him that a 95% liquid diet was no longer appropriate/optimal :)  Like you, I was exhausted and it was just starting to feel weird (for me). </p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts