Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Claire, 17 months, has started throwing any food that she doesn't want to eat off of her tray onto the floor.  I'm not sure how to help her learn not to do this and would appreciate any suggestions.  The voice inside my head keeps telling me to smack her hand, but I really don't want to do that!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
380 Posts
<p>Throwing food is a normal phase for this age.  IME it just means they're done eating.  Perhaps start off with a smaller serving of food and pay attention when she eats-when she starts to lose interest just take the plate right away and say something like "looks you're done eating".  There used to be suction bowls/plates when my kids were small that worked ok, don't know if they are still made though.</p>

·
Registered
632 Posts
<p>My 19mo Ds does the same thing when he's done... and then he calls the dog over to eat what fell on the floor : P I've started saying "Are you all done? Can you sign done instead of pushing your food on the floor?" His sign for done is throwing his hands over his head and saying "DONE!" So I'm thinking it's just going to take time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Smaller portions is also a very good idea, going to try this one  : ) </p>

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
<p>My 13 month old does the same. I just say "Please put the food on the plate or eat it. Are you finished? (signing all done)" That works most of the time.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts