Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My 17 month old has never fallen asleep unless I am holding her or rocking her. With the exception of falling asleep in the car. Anyone else have this experience? i want to know if i'm the only one. She will not let daddy or grandma hold or rock her to sleep, only mommy and she wakes up frequently in the nite and will not go back to sleep until i hold her. Did anyone experience this and if and when did it stop?</p>
<p>Thanx ladies.</p>

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
<p>Yes, 21mo DS nurses to sleep every night (and all night!) and he sleeps in my lap for every nap (except when in the car). I don't mind during the week (I have to be sitting working on the computer during naptime anyway) but on the weekends when I want to do stuff it drives me a bit bonkers that I have to wait around all day for him to feel tired (he's not consistent with naptime) and I don't enjoy being tied down much.</p>

·
Registered
478 Posts
<p>My 18 mo has also never fallen asleep w/o me.  Honestly, I don't mind.  I think my oldest was around this age before falling asleep on her own, and now at 4 and 1/2 she's a terrific sleeper! </p>

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
<p>I started a similar thread last night although my problem is slightly different. My 10-month-old needs to be held to fall asleep, but fortunately for me, I am not the only one who can get him to sleep. DH also holds him to sleep regularly and my SIL has done it successfully on more than one occasion. The problem is that once he is asleep he cannot be set down without waking up. So he has to be held the whole time he sleeps. Have you figured out the solution to this?</p>

·
Registered
478 Posts
<p>Try, try, and try again!  :)  It gets easier, for sure.  I was in your shoes w/ both girls and while it certainly sucked at times, others I just went w/ the flow.  One thing that works great for us is not having set nap times.  My 18 mo isn't napping very often anymore at all, and if she does it's in the car or a half hour at a time :rolleyes:, but she goes down when she's tired and I've always tried to work w/ that.  I know it doesn't work for everyone, but since we're usually on the go anyway, it does for us. </p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts