Hmm -- I'm not sure because, fortunately, we did not encounter any problems. But I do remember that the technician narrated the whole event. She said things like: "Well, the baby does not have a cleft palate, the 4 chambers of the heart look good, etc." So I would imagine she would have mentioned it if she saw something problematic. It was the same during my nuchal -- she said the baby looked really good and everything looked normal (before I got official results). But I don't know if all technicians/places have the same procedures.
I think I would ask the person performing the u/s what the policies and procedures are (before the u/s begins). That way you won't read anything negative into silence (if it is just their policy to not say anything).
I think it depends on the technician. They know what they are looking for and I imagine would tell you if a limb was missing or something really obvious ya know? But as far as interpreting certain aspects like growth, amniotic fluid, etc they may be catious as to wait and let your ob or midwife go over that. It really just depends.
With my 2nd baby the tech told me that there was a white spot in his heart, likely a calcium deposit which could mean many things. She didn't speculate as to why he had that but she did state the fact that it was there and visable. It turned out to be nothing and went away the next time.
But I imagine if there were something critical wrong the you would not have to wait a month or whenever for your next appt with your provider. I'm sure it depends on the experience/comfort level of tech as well as what your OB/MW prefers since it's likely she sends all her clients to the same place for an ultrasound.
and it's definitely something you can ask about before you consent to the procedure so you know what to expect
I'm so lucky b/c my OB does the ultrasounds. But when I had one done with my m/c this summer, they didn't tell me anthing (well, then they handed me the stupid paper to carry back to the doc's office (it was in the same place) and the doc's office was all pissed. They did that b/c they had failed to send it over when they should have so I went to ask for them to do it.
I was mostly wondering 'cause my ultrasound is scheduled on Friday 11/17th and my midwife visit is on Monday 11/20. I doubt she'll have the results by then - I hate the thought of waiting to find out at my Dec appt. I suppose I could call in-between. And you're probably right - if something serious is wrong, they'll likely not want to wait.