Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week ds became interested in walking on the trail after playing on the playground at the park, which we were very happy about. The first time, he walked for almost 5 minutes and was ready to be carried. A couple days ago, dh took him and reported that he walked (ran, actually, in his bouncy, jiggly, way) 1/4 mile, which we were pretty surprised by. So today I took him, and just thought I'd see how far he would go. He walked the whole 1 mile trail! No, I didn't force him and he turned me down both times I offered to carry him. He definetly slowed down toward the end but he never whined or anything, he just kept holding my hand and walking. I'm almost afraid to tell anyone IRL for fear that they would think I'm either lying, bragging, or really mean to my child. But I'm truly curious - is it normal for an 18 mo. old to be able to walk this far? Everyone I know takes their toddler to the playground just to play on the equipment or pushes them in the stroller while the mommies walk, so I really don't have any frame of reference for how far most toddlers this age can/want to walk. So, if you have or know of a little one who likes to walk that much, please let me know!

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Absolutely! We do weekly hikes w/our playgroup and they go for 5+ hours of walking & playing. Little guys shift to backpacks when they're tired. Believe me, you would know if a mile was too far.

Have fun

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BusyMommy
Absolutely! We do weekly hikes w/our playgroup and they go for 5+ hours of walking & playing. Little guys shift to backpacks when they're tired. Believe me, you would know if a mile was too far.

Have fun

: When I was with The Walk For Justice, there were 5 year olds who would walk the entire 50-60 miles a day with me and STILL have energy to play.
:

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
That's great! I've always been so happy that our girls were able/interested in hiking long distances since they were very small. And that meant walking forward in a straight line, too!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
When we take a walk in the evening, we usually bring the ergo along and let DS go until he's tired. Then we turn around and go back home. On a usual night he'll walk about half a mile...on the craziest night I don't even know how far he walked. I was pooped!

I think it's great because it tires him out and since we've started walking in the evenings he's started sleeping through the night or almost through.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Read some of Maria Montessori's philosophy on this...she mentions that small children have the ability to walk very far, and also they have no concept of a goal or destination...they just walk for walking sake and to experience the moment along the way.
So it's definately normal and quite okay, even beneficial...

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Of course it's not too much! Would he have done it if it were?

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Last month my 2 year old walked almost 3 miles! My husband and older son got carried away and kept on walking, and then of course had to walk home!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:
there were 5 year olds who would walk the entire 50-60 miles a day
Walk 50-60 miles a day???? I don't think anyone could do that, child or adult.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I think as long as you read your child's cues, you will know how far is too far! Sounds like he did great!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I think it sounds great! Lots of exercise is healthy and beneficial. I know my DS walked about a mile and a half in a short period of time when he was 12.5 months old. He "seemed" sore the next day --- not wanting to move too much and kind of whining and acting like gumby. I wonder if he needed a stretch afterward!

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rzberrymom
Walk 50-60 miles a day???? I don't think anyone could do that, child or adult.
Yes. Haven't you ever heard of any of the Walks? They walk across many countries.
http://members.aol.com/Nowacumig/walk.html

http://walkforjustice.kintera.org/fa...?ievent=167886

http://www.outfront.org/members/walk06.html

http://vcnv.org/walk-for-justice-fro...to-the-mideast

http://vcnv.org/walk-schedule-and-route

There are many more. I didn't search for the ones in Japan, China, Africa, etc.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvie
Read some of Maria Montessori's philosophy on this...she mentions that small children have the ability to walk very far, and also they have no concept of a goal or destination...they just walk for walking sake and to experience the moment along the way.
So it's definately normal and quite okay, even beneficial...
: If you follow their lead, they know when to stop and rest, get a drink of water, eat food, etc. Unlike adults, they rreally are more 'aware' when they are walking. It's cool. I'd be so focused on "one more step, one more step" look over and they'd be chatting, pointing out the trees/bird/wildlife and look so alive!

Also, they never strained their ankles, tendons, etc. It seemed like they understood better how to pace themselves so as not to get any injuries. Like they listened to their bodies, not had a goal of "I'll make it for 5 more miles."

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I'd like to put a pedometer on my 2 year old to see how far she walks/runs around in general every day. I bet it's more than a mile... she's just going around the house/stores/yard etc., instead of on a trail.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kymholly
I'd like to put a pedometer on my 2 year old to see how far she walks/runs around in general every day. I bet it's more than a mile... she's just going around the house/stores/yard etc., instead of on a trail.

I can't find a link, but I remember in a fitness mag they said the average "housewife" (yeah, I don't like that term) walks 16 miles a day just in her home.

My kids, I am sure, do a LOT more than that.
:

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artist Mama
RE: walking 50-60 miles a day...
the average adult walks 4 miles per hour.
do the math.
Did you even bother reading the links?
Who said we only walked during the day? We started at 3 am most of the time, and were finished by the following evening, then camped for a night and day, and start out again.
How do you think people traveled before cars, bikes, horses?

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:
Banks received the idea of traditional sacred running in 1978 when he began Sacred Run. Since then it has become a multi-cultural, international event with participants from around the world joining Native American runners to carry the message of the sacredness of all Life and of humankind's relationship to the planet, Mother Earth. Each year, Banks leads Sacred Runs. As of 1996, Banks has led runners over 58,000 miles through the United States, Alaska, Europe, Japan, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Quote:
In 1994, Banks led the four month WALK FOR JUSTICE (WFJ) from Alcatraz Island in San Francisco to Washington, D.C.. The purpose was to bring public awareness to current Native issues.
http://members.aol.com/Nowacumig/biograph.html

I am lucky to have been a part of many of the Walks/Runs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.