Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so DD is an only child....for now. She has been a good kid. Absolutely no complaints. But, for the last month or so when she doesn't get her way, she will hit herself in the face or bite her fingers. She used to hit us and we taught her not to but now instead of hitting us, she hits herself. I don't have a clue where she would have picked this up from because we don't hit in our house.<br><br>
Is this normal? Is she doing this just to get a rise out of us? Am I being overly paranoid LOL? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ladies.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
You'll know that better than us. My son is 17 months and started hitting himself a month or 2 ago. I KNEW it was for attention because he'd look at us while doing it. So we just completely ignored it and it totally stopped. I feel like we sidestepped a major issue there.<br><br>
We also gave him more 1 on 1 time with us. He needed some more positive attention so he'd stop hitting himself for negative attention.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Just responded to a similar question so bumping yours so hopefully they'll be together and you can read that thread!

·
Registered
205 Posts
My DD did that when she was about that age. If she is hitting her head, I was told that its because she's frustrated and its a response to the frustration; trying to get it out of her head type thing. She eventually outgrew it, it took maybe a couple weeks. My neice also did the same thing and outgrew it; I think its a stage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts