Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>How long did it take for you bed-sharing mommas, to get your kids  to sleep through the night without waking up? I love nursing and bed-sharing, but he wakes up a few times a night wanting my boob in his mouth!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He is not hungry, as he barely nurses a few minutes before sleeping off...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>How do I get him out of this habit?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We also have the habit of nursing to sleep, is that first one I need to break?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would love to hear some ways you all have gotten over this.. thanks so much!</p>

·
Premium Member
4,427 Posts
<p>This all sounds normal to me.  I have a 22mo that wakes up several times a night to nurse.  I don't really mind too much, since nursing for us is less disruptive and time-consuming than other methods of soothing him back to sleep. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If it's bothering you, you might consider the gentle Jay Gordon method of night weaning: </p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html" target="_blank">http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html</a></p>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Thank you for your response!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It didn't bother me so much, although my back used to hurt a lot.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But now we're expecting baby #2 and I feel it's time for him to sleep without wanting me too much, in the nights.. not sure if I'm expecting too much of the poor child</p>

·
Premium Member
4,427 Posts
<p>When my first was 18mo, we were pregnant again with our second child.  DS1 definitely wasn't ready to sleep on his own yet, but I know every child is different.  Is it possible for you to let your partner do some of the nighttime parenting?  What if you got a bigger bed?  Or what if you put the crib/toddler bed in your room? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you decide to night wean, the most gentle option I can think of is the Jay Gordon method.  Maybe someone else can share their experiences, too.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts