Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 18 month old occationally bites his hand/fingers. Hard! Hard enough to leave dents. It tends to happen when he's excited or overly tired, he just sticks his knuckles or fingers in his mouth and bites down, almost shaking with energy.

I think it's just some kind of release for him... he doesn't seem to even notice that it causes pain to his hand or anything.

Anyone else go through this?

·
Registered
459 Posts
one of my boys did this a few times (that I noticed), I think it was more around age 23 months or so... is your ds still bringing it teeth?
this ds still has his back molars to come in, so I don't know if it has anything to do with that, but it would happen while he and his brother were playing around, wrestling and such and this bite mark would appear on his hand or low on his forearm. A pretty firm bite, I was a little shocked the first time and had figured it was his brother, but it wasn't. It seemed to coincide with laughing and playing... or if he was getting frustrated with his brother, perhaps right before nap time...

It only happen several times and I haven't noticed it for a while, but since I didn't see it happen (but know it was him and not his brother based on proximity) I would calmly show it to him and say "ouch, don't bite your hand, biting hurts" just the same as I do if they bite each other...

It makes sense to me that its a release, hopefully a short lived phase for your ds!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.