Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My 18 mo toddler who barely weighs 19 lbs has been refusing solids for almost a month. i nurse him on demand. Because he eats so little during the day, he's up all night nursing. The one night he ate a substantial meal last week, he slept like a log through the night. He nurses every 1/2-1 hour in the night and I'm really tired and achy during the day. I have a fissure near my nipple and I've been using APNO for that. And the constant nursing makes that side sore. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I try to offer him a variety of foods, but he's been refusing everything. I think he's lost weight too. To add fuel to the fire, my family has been giving me a hard time about his weight. Please tell me this phase will go away soon. Anything I can do to encourage him to eat. My diet has been less than optimal because I'm so tired to make anything for myself and its just when I sit to eat everytime that he wants to nurse. i'm not sure if he's getting enough nutrients from my milk. Please help.</p>

·
Registered
727 Posts
<p>He might be having stomach issues.. I would do a full ellimination diet only offer bland foods, nothing that could be an allergen. I would also do pro-biotics (if he's nursing you can put them right on your nipple), I would also see your pediatrician to see if theres anything medically wrong the ped can figure out. I would also nurse as much as you can during the day for now, just to get more callories in the kid. It really sounds to me like he's sick.... I hope he starts eating soon. </p>

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
<p>was he eating pretty good up till a month ago? if my kid had any sudden change with food it would send up a red flag, specially if they were already little, 19 pounds seems really small, has he always been small or is he slipping on his particular growth curve?  can you think of anything that happened around the time he stop eating solids? is it really everything he turns down?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>as for you, i would work hard to get good nutrition, your milk will stay nutritious for the most part, but at your expense and that can be really bad. protein shakes can be a great fast way to get healthy fuel. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=motheringhud-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2FB003FDG4K4%3Fie%3DUTF8%26tag%3Dstir05-20%26linkCode%3Dshr%26camp%3D213733%26creative%3D393177%26creativeASIN%3DB003FDG4K4%26ref_%3Dsr_1_1%26qid%3D1332733110%26sr%3D8-1" rel="norewrite" target="_blank">here are the ones i drink</a> whenever I'm breastfeeding my 15 month twins</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts