Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I haven't been around 'cause I finally had that baby I was planning on. :)

By the grace of God our little one is all healthy and doing well.

For the first four days I was taking it easy and dear husband was also catching up on his strength. DH, who is from Asia, had seen my IPT book and laughed at me- a whole book on how to toilet a baby? I told him that as my mother couldn't help me I might just need one.

After four days, DH was ready to start toileting our newborn infant. He said we just needed to catch as many as possible. She's been in cloth diapers from the start, except on little outings. Because she eats every two hours and poops just as often (not to mention peeing more often), that's quite necessary. She also makes a big sound when she poops, though because she is so teensy her facial signals are changing daily.

Anyway, on the fourth day, DH asked me to bring him the bedpan we'd set aside to use for her toileting. She had just woken up. I ran to bring it and he started using their traditional sound to pee her, while holding her over the pot just like they show in the book (though he didn't read that book). It sounds like "grunt-shhhhhh".

To my amazement, she went poop right away. He said it was her genetic memory.

That was a good time because it was right after a long sleep. Since then, we'be been running around and have caught on average about three or four poops and a couple of pees per day. She's a week old yesterday so from now on I'm going to get serious about bringing her to the toilet when changing her. Tonight (right before night feedings) I got two poops in the pot myself (he's much better at it than I am) and I'm all inspired.

The only things that worry me is when she appears to be straining too hard- could she hurt herself?- and confusion if we take her too often and she doesn't have to go. Do failed attempts (not misses) affect their perception of the pottying experience? Also, we use diaper covers to protect my mother's carpet. We also have carpet in our apartment in Asia. These can be undone quickly but does anyone know if they impair the process?

Thanks a lot to all of you for your help!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
First, Congrats on the new baby!!

Second, I don't think taking babe too much will do any harm...unless they are adament about the fact that the DO NOT want to go!!! (I don't think that will happen for a few months still....and as time goes on, you'll probably be able to weigh the pros against the cons in taking babe to the potty at every little sign...I used to take DS at every whim, and it gets old fast, you'll figure out your happy medium...sometimes you may end up missing, sometimes you'll get to just keep enjoying the moment...it will work itself out!)

Thirdly, I say no worries about the diaper cover

P.S. I think it's so awesome that your DH is so great at ECing- that's the way things should be!

oh, and you had made a comment about babe straining when pooping- a breastfed babe probably wouldn't cause any damage. If you're genuinely concerned about her straining causing damage make sure you're getting plenty of liquids yourself, and that she's nursing plenty, and if she seems constipated, maybe look into your diet (dairy?) but if she's pooping regullarly and a few times a day (I think that's newborn norm isn't it??) and they're the normal newborn-mush consistency then I'd say not to worry!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that, Laurie!

From the last point you replied to first- baby's poops are not just "a few times a day". We're still at the point where when I toilet her before nursing, she always has a poop in there! A beautiful mustard yellow, I must say, which I am especially proud of. (I think she is too, judging by the look on her little face).

As for your other comments, that's really nice to hear. Did you potty from the first week as well?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
We didn't start ECing until DS was 5.5mos- If we ever have another DC I'd start from the get-go though!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Congrats on your successes, mama! It sounds likeyou are off to a good start.

eirual is right about finding a balance between no-gos and misses. I found that a lot of no-gos was stressing me out and taking me away from the spirit of EC--it became more of a task that I was winning or failing, and not a way of being with my baby. Once I chilled out a little and allowed there to be the possibility of misses, I amazingly started to catch more! Strange how that works.

Kudos to you for starting so early! I intended to, but he was just so teeny tiny and I was so nervous I would snap him in half.
So we started slowly at 2 weeks and in earnest at 4 weeks. I'd say we catch about 75% on an average day.

Last night was great though-- he slept 5 hours (his longest EVER) without wetting, and I got him to the potty in time for a pee so forceful it jumped out of the bowl.

Good luck, mama! Keep us posted on how it goes for you and your fam!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts