Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Here is a question from my friend:</p>
<p><br>
My OBGYN wants me to ween right away because I had PPROM (preterm premature rupture of membranes) with my last pregnancy at 34 wks. This was after multiple (5 an hour several hours / day) Braxton Hicks contractions for at least a month prior. Reaching out to everyone for ideas and experiences with this. My homebirth midwife thinks it is okay to continue breastfeeding as long as I have no contractions, but my OBGYN says I'm taking too great a risk. I still nurse my 28mo between 5-7x a day (only 2-3 real feeds, but nipple stimulation 5-7x a day). La Leche League said I should get more informed info, so any informed or experienced mamas out there? I don't want to wean, but will to protect the baby. I am 12 weeks. Thanks in advance. Trying not to stress, but realize I might need to make up my mind very soon.</p>

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
<p>I've nursed through two full-term pregnancies and am now nursing 17 weeks into a third. My milk mostly dries up around 13 weeks and I don't get colostrum till much later but my babes have all still liked the comfort. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>FWIW, OBs get very little instruction in breastfeeding during their training. Not sure where the myth "you have to wean if preg" got started and why it's perpetuated, but it's a myth.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts