Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is approaching his first birthday and I am looking for a cake recipe for him. I am ordering the cake for guests but want to make Jacks cake myself so he can indulge on his own. I don't want a sugar high baby with poop problems. Anyone help with a good recipe that doesn't have a ton of sugar? A bit is fine with me. Also, a good icing recipe. He is sensitive to dairy and soy. Thanks,
Sarah

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Before figuring out recipes, what foods CAN he have? Is he OK with eggs? Egg yolks can be used in a recipe if he's sensitive to only the whites (or if whites haven't been introduced yet). What juices does he tolerate well? Can you pump milk to bake with? Can he have wheat?

I think that you'd do better with a "muffin" type recipe, baked in a cake shape. In general, rice milk can be used in place of milk in any recipe- I've also had success substituting juice or even plain water in many recipes.

For icing, I usually just mix powdered sugar with butter (or any other solid oil, such as coconut, palm, non-hydrogenated margarine,etc.) and mix it until it looks right, then add a dab of vanilla. I don't know if that would be too high in sugar for you (maybe if there was no refined sugar in the cake and all the sugar was in the icing?)

You could also try experimenting with recipes ahead of time to see what he enjoys and agrees with him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He can have whole eggs and besides the dairy and soy doesn't show other allergies. Maybe dairy fine by now but I tried yogurt 2 months ago and he got really gassy. He loves rice milk but for cooking I don't know.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I've baked with rice milk- you can use it in any recipe calling for milk- rice milk generally works very well in sweet recipes (not quite as good in things like mashed potatoes.)

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Here's one:

Vanilla Cake
This moist cake contains no eggs.

2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup safflower oil
2/3 cup maple syrup or brown rice syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1/2 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy) or water
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 375º. Oil 9-inch cake pan. Sift flour, salt, and baking powder together. In separate bowl, beat remaining ingredients. Add to flour mixture and beat until smooth. Pour into prepared cake pan. Bake 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out dry and edges are golden. Cool on rack before removing from pan and frosting.

Serves 8

Or also - banana bread recipes baked in a square baking pan works well.

For frosting, I usually puree cream cheese with a little maple syrup or juice but if you are not doing dairy - you could use apple butter for frosting.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
All my kids (well the 2 who have turned 1 lol) were made couscous cakes for the special day...

Cook cous cous in chocolate or vanilla almond milk and apple juice
when cooked- spead into 8x8 pan and put in fridge
on top i make an agaragar jello-
mix agar in boiling apple juice and allow to dissolve
arrange fresh or frozen berries on top of cake and pour agar mix over-
put in fridge to jell-up-
yummy and healthy...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.