Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a few types of diapers and also have the Jillian's Drawer "Try for $10" lot. This is what I have: 4 Bum Genius 3.0, 1 Bum Genius Organic 3.0, 2 Lucy's Hope Chest AIOs, 2 Shiney's AIOs, 1 Thursties AIO, 1 Thursties fitted w/cover, 2 Fuzzi buns AIOs, and 2 chinese prefolds w/ snappi. Everything is washed and ready to go.
My questions:
1. Why are the Bum Genius AIOs so bulky? The insert is just too big. My daughter is petite and this particular diaper makes her walk very funny. Will the insert become less fluffy as I wash it more? Adjusting the size of the insert only makes it bulkier. I know these are really supposed to be top of the line, so I am confused why it seems as though these are the most uncomfortable for DD to wear.
2. I have been using this disposable liner, but it gets bunched up and doesn't protect the diaper whatsoever. Any suggestions for use?
3. How in the world do you use a prefold?
It is quite embarrassing, but I can't figure it out and my daughter will not stay still for very long for me to get one her.
4. I also have gDiapers. Has anyone tried placing prefolds into the liners instead of the disposable inserts? I can't justify spending the cash for the disposable inserts and we can't flush them because of our old plumbing.
5. Does anyone have any other suggestions for other diapers to try for a skinny baby? DD is 14 mo and about 29 in and 19 lbs.
TIA!

·
Registered
241 Posts
4. I also have gDiapers. Has anyone tried placing prefolds into the liners instead of the disposable inserts? I can't justify spending the cash for the disposable inserts and we can't flush them because of our old plumbing.

Yes, we do gdipes with prefolds. It works great. We fold down the extra in the front for our boys, but I've heard of people folding them the 'wrong way' as in across the width instead of down the length for girls. It makes a ton of sense and we get lots of mileage out of our covers, plus the covers can go in with our regular laundry so we have fewer dedicated diaper loads.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Every diaper is different, as is every baby! It is a change for babies to go from sposies to cloth, just because it is bulkier - I'm not sure how the gdiapers compare as far as bulk - I've never tried one.

I think the bg aio has a bigger insert because the "average baby" is probably not as petite as yours and needs the absorbancy. If you don't like them for daytime, you can try it for night or naps! Or if after a while, you still don't like it, they have a good resale value. Sell it and get something you like better. : )

i like the bummis liner you are using because they are soft, but I feel imse vimse liners catch poop better.

There are lots of different folds and ways to use a prefold, but the easiest for you may be to tri fold it (try it the long way or the short way and see which works better for you) and lay it in your cover, just like you were planning to with the gdiaper. Lay it in the Thirsties cover, and velcro it on! This technique works best, imo, for kids who have more solid poo because your covers probably won't get soiled very often. I like the jelly roll fold because with my ds's food allergies, he doesn't always have solid poop and this holds it better. Here is another page listing a few folding styles. I find snappis very handy - for me they are quick and hold well.

My ds is sort of petite and I like Sugar Peas 2-size diapers on him for a trim but absorbant fit.

I think you chose wisely getting an assortment of dipes to try. Keep bringing on the questions!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigan Mama View Post
Keep bringing on the questions!
Thank you so much! I will try the tri-fold technique and also check out the website you suggested. Oh, and the Sweet Pea diapers.
I have two more questions!
1. It is SUPER hot here in San Diego... 100+ degrees the last two days. DD has what looks like a heat rash on her little bum. She is really susceptible to them. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to prevent this. She has been sweating horribly in the new diapers.
Oops, baby waking. I will be back later

·
Registered
241 Posts
I know some mamas put baby in a fitted or prefold without a cover for indoor time to help with rashes, and then only put on a cover for outings/sleep. You just have to change as soon as they wet but it's doable.

·
Registered
184 Posts
On the liners, I have those too. In my opinion, they are totally worthless. They bunch up no matter how I use them, which of course, defeats the purpose. I'm sure there are better quality liners out there, but I haven't tried any other kind.

The inserts do get less "fluffy", but it doesn't have a huge impact on the bulkiness of the diaper.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mama, It's Amy (from BF group, Kate's aunt). I CD my DD (now 2) and my 2 month old. I have lots of thoughts on diapers. If you'd like, you can come over and see my stash. We started with cotton prefolds & PUL covers, with a handful of pockets (FB, BGOS), moved to bamboo prefolds & wool and now we use fitteds & wool.

I use the Imse Vimse flushable liners. I found that they bunched way less than the Bummis. And I need to leave them hanging out of the leg holes of the diaper. If they get all tucked up inside the diaper, they're useless. But hanging out, they work great and they don't wick, so it's not a problem.

--amy

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by echoecho1528 View Post
3. How in the world do you use a prefold?
It is quite embarrassing, but I can't figure it out and my daughter will not stay still for very long for me to get one her.
I love my prefolds. I have tried different folds and a snappi, and I just go back to the trifold method and lay it in the cover. It works the best and contained things the best, I've found. I've bought several snappi's, and I just hate the way the diaper fits on him this way. So, the best way to use a pf, I've found, is to trifold it, lay it in the cover (fold down in front or back if the length is too long) and velcro it on. Viola! easy and as fast as a sposie.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by echoecho1528 View Post
Thank you so much! I will try the tri-fold technique and also check out the website you suggested. Oh, and the Sweet Pea diapers.
I have two more questions!
1. It is SUPER hot here in San Diego... 100+ degrees the last two days. DD has what looks like a heat rash on her little bum. She is really susceptible to them. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to prevent this. She has been sweating horribly in the new diapers.
Oops, baby waking. I will be back later

Choose a laundry detergent/soap choice that is gentle and has few enzymes. Make sure you cut your portion -- too much creates residuals. Take the cover off when possible for air ehlps keep the rashing away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.