Mothering Forum banner

2-27-09 Dan York at 5pm -call in!

477 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  dharmama 
#1 ·
I just found out that Dan York, a conservative talk show host, will be talking about RI's new breastfeeding law (that protects moms breastfeeding in any public place). He is evidently disgusted etc. and another mdc mom called from her car to ask me to post about it on here. Her idea is to have as many of us call in as possible. The number is 438-9776 OR 800-321-9776.
He will be on 99.7fm or 630am at 5pm today.

#2 ·
Haha, I just listened to the first 15 minutes and that guy is ridiculous! My kids were throwing temper tantrums so I could hardly hear it though. I don't think he has any purpose other than to offend. I mean he actually said "God bless you, Good American" (ok that's still cracking me up
) to the woman who agreed with him and totally and rudely cut off the woman he disagreed with. Like it's american to think breastfeeding in public without total blanket coverage is inappropriate. And that now breastfeeders will be like letting out their inner striper and baring all!

But yay, for the new breastfeeding law!!

#3 ·
I know, I know- the inner stripper thing

Yeah, like breastfeeding moms are the ones we have to worry about because they like to just pull out a breast and flash it around... if there happens to be a baby in latching reach then yay- if not, who cares? lol.
I think that's such a silly argument for anyone who has seen any news stand and or any young woman emulating the people on the magazines at the news stand.
He totally turned me off when he cut off that woman- if you can't debate fair (and I think it's reasonable to say listening to someone else's opinion all the way through is fair) then I'm done with you.

#4 ·
Seriously, it was absurd...but I'm wondering if anyone did get on the show.
Due to screaming kids I couldn't have but I thought of saying "I have breastfed in public for many years and have never had anyone bat an eye..are your objections simply that the law prevents the owner of a business deciding what happens on his or her property and so taking away the right to kick a woman out of their business for doing something natural, normal and above all necessary? Or was the objection the breastfeeding in public to begin with?" I tend to think it was a little of both.
One positive about the show is that those listeners who agree with him are now at least informed that there is a law and they hopefully will do their best to follow it

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by plantmama View Post
Seriously, it was absurd...but I'm wondering if anyone did get on the show.
Due to screaming kids I couldn't have but I thought of saying "I have breastfed in public for many years and have never had anyone bat an eye..are your objections simply that the law prevents the owner of a business deciding what happens on his or her property and so taking away the right to kick a woman out of their business for doing something natural, normal and above all necessary? Or was the objection the breastfeeding in public to begin with?" I tend to think it was a little of both.
He said over and over again that he is supportive of breastfeeding- just not of breastfeeding moms having the power to sue a business owner. But it seems that not supporting a woman's right to breastfeed anywhere goes hand-in-hand with not being supportive of breastfeeding.
He didn't take many calls that were pro-the law. One guy said that he isn't into breastfeeding but his wife wanted to so "whatever"... but she would pump so they could give the baby a bottle in public
argh argh. Can we take an educated guess on how long she was able to breastfeed. I just think the more complicated breastfeeding is the less people are able to continue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plantmama
One positive about the show is that those listeners who agree with him are now at least informed that there is a law and they hopefully will do their best to follow it

Good point!
Maybe a nurse in needs to happen at WPRO... kidding

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
I have half a mind to march into Dan York's office and hand him a copy myself...while nursing my - GASP! - toddler!
haha- you should! but beware: you might be labeled a "militant nursing mom"

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
I wrote a press release on behalf of RIBN that will go out on Monday to all news outlets in RI applauding the new law. I have half a mind to march into Dan York's office and hand him a copy myself...while nursing my - GASP! - toddler!
You ROCK woman!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.