Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to do for DD. She completely freaks out around other kids. I've had to take her out of playgroup, because she was just so miserable the whole time, and would just cling to me. We tried dance class for toddlers, and she was fine the first 2 times, then they changed us to a new day and time with girls a bit older and bigger and she freaked out, so we have stopped going. I took her to the mall the other day, where they have a huge wooden train for kids to climb and play on, and she had a total break down when a baby came near her! So, we went home. I just don't know what else to do, the poor child just can't deal with other kids for some reason, and I don't know how to help her. I'm tired of always being the only playmate for her, I can't even sit and talk with other moms because DD freaks out when the other kids talk to her or even get near her. She'll play with my niece and nephews fine, runs with them, doesn't freak out, but they live over an hour and a half away, and we can only see them every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My older son is 4.5 now but he was like your DD when he was that age. Developmentally, he wasn't ready - he just didn't "get" the play thing. And his temperment - he really wasn't comfortable in situations where there were a lot of people (adults or kids). I don't think your daughter is doing anything abnormal - it's pretty age appropriate to not "get" co-operative play. Even if she doesn't "freak out", chances are, at age 2.5, she'll just be doing parallel play.<br><br>
DS used to "freak" if I even attempted to walk away from him at any activity. And even now - he still is anxious or acts out when too many people are near him or there is a lot of stimuli. He's a very sensitive, spirited kind of guy.<br><br>
One thing I did when DS was 2.5, like you, I tried different activities. He DID enjoy going to the library and so we did that several times a week. We started attending a weekly story time group when he was around 2. I tell ya- he was in the SAME group for an entire year and it was only at the end of the year that he started to look like he was enjoying himself. But at home, alone, he'd always sing the songs or communicate that he liked the group.<br><br>
Honestly, I never thought he'd get out of this stage. He started Junior Kindergarten this fall and he said goodbye at the school door, happy and without a backwards glance. He likes his classmates and loves school.<br><br>
Your DD sounds so much like my son when he was 2.5 - I had to respond.<br><br>
My advice is not to worry, try not to get frustrated or compare your DD to other kids and just tell yourself that eventually she will become more comfortable with other children/people - when she is ready.<br><br>
It's frustrating because we moms need a break or we're just trying to do something fun and the child is "freaking".<br><br>
When your DS is ready, she'll play more easily with other children. At age 2.5, it's still really young. I watch my 4.5 year old - he is just learning the rudiments of play and co-operation with other kids.<br><br>
Now that I have a younger son (16 months), I realize even more how different every child is. My DS #2 - he is happy to be anywhere - nothing phases him. I've done nothing different - just different temperment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts