Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is now 2.5 and he has had a sort of pimply rash that gets better and worse but has more or less always been there. It's on his cheeks and curves up toward his hairline, and also on the backs of his upper arms and on his outer thighs. We've always used perfume- and dye-free detergent, so I doubt it's an allergy to that. I took him off all soy and dairy (hard because he loves soy milk and cottage cheese) and at his last appointment I asked his doc. if she thought the "rash" could be from a food allergy. She said no, because it would be in more places than it was. I've been putting lanolin on one arm and leg, kind of an experiment to see if it's chapped or really dry, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. (be forewarned that the following might be TMI) In the rashy patches, he gets what look like real whiteheads, and I've also noticed some blackheads. Mostly, though, the patches are covered with little bumps that sometimes open and it looks kind of like a white sliver sticking out. Not really a sliver but more like a clump of skin cells or something. From what I understand, acne is caused by hormones so might there possibly be some kind of hormonal imbalance? He's nursing frequently, so could my hormones be passing to him and making him "break out"? I'm starting to wonder about the hormone thing because he's always been huge for his age, born at 12lbs and was in 3T's by 1.5, 5T's at 2.5 although my doctor doesn't seem to think anything is wierd.<br>
It may be important to include that we've also been struggling with cradle cap (I think that's what it is) since he was an infant. I've noticed that it actually gets worse if I wash his hair frequently, so I only shampoo it when needed. To treat the gunky stuff on his scalp I put olive oil on it and then brush it out (and shampoo, of course). I don't know if this could be connected to the skin problems or if it's just a coincidence.<br>
I really don't know what to do about the rashes. Right now I'm just trying to keep them clean and keep an eye out for any type of pattern (like worse after swimming or eating certain foods, or certain times of the month, things like that) I'm scared that his skin is going to be damaged or scarred, but I really have no idea what it is or even how to figure out what it is... Any ideas? Would it help to take him to a ND?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts