Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this normal? My two-month-old sleeps for long stretches at night (usually one 5-7 hour stretch, then a feeding, then another 2-3 hour stretch), but basically doesn't nap at all during the day. Sometimes she'll sleep for an hour or so in the sling, but only if I'm walking with her outside (so it doesn't allow me any time to rest or get anything done) and sometimes she'll get in 1 or 2 15-minute cat naps, but that's about it.

It's pretty exhausting, because she needs to be fed or entertained non-stop and there aren't any breaks (making myself lunch is always a challenge). She nurses like crazy during the day--it's a challenge to get even 30 minutes between when she finishes and when she wants to eat again. Is this a normal pattern? Surely she'll nap when she gets a bit bigger, right? Please reassure me that at some point she'll get into a napping pattern, because I don't think I can sustain this long term!
:

·
Registered
464 Posts
My little guy was and is like that, and it took me a long time to figure it out. He actually sleeps while he's nursing. When I totalled up the nursing hours at 2 months, I realized that they were about how long a 2 month old should be sleeping. Is it possible that she's doing that? That could be why she wants to nurse so much--she's tired. It took me a while to recognize the difference in the sucking pattern. It really slows down when he's asleep, and is much deeper and faster when he's awake. If she's nursing a long time, you might want to try popping her off after a half hour or so. I know the books all say not to, but if she's alseep it won't harm her, and might prevent her from getting hung up in a nurse to sleep association like my 7 month old is. We can't get him to sleep any other way. If you think this might be your problem, pop her off after a half an hour and try to transfer to a crib/swing/bed/bassinet. She might continue the nap.

Or I could be way off-base. But if I could do it over again, that's what I'd do. I let my guy sleep/nurse for almost all his naps in the beginning and now that's the only way he wants to do it and he's a terrible indpendent napper.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
My dd did that for awhile- she dropped naps a couple of times.....

I WOULD NOT pull her off while nursing. Nursing to sleep is normal and natural.

-Angela

·
Registered
464 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
My dd did that for awhile- she dropped naps a couple of times.....

I WOULD NOT pull her off while nursing. Nursing to sleep is normal and natural.

-Angela
I did not say to pull her off while actively nursing. I said to pull her off while sleeping and still hooked on the boob. Big difference there.

And not napping at all and dropping naps a couple of times are completely different things, as well.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Oh, I meant not napping at all, for weeks. Then she'd pick them back up later. Several times over I told everyone she'd given up naps for good.... they came back though.

And as I'm of the belief that with one that little that if they stay attached, they NEED to be attached.

-Angela

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think babies go through a transition around 2 months. Before then, they sleep so much, and tend to drop off whenever/wherever. But at 2 or 3 months, they start needing some extra help to go to sleep, instead of just conking out every time they nurse. I went through this. At around 2 months I found myself with a babe who just DIDN'T nap - or so I thought. But then I realized she just needed more help than she used to. So I started watching for tired signs, especially after 1.5 or 2 hours of wakefulness. When I saw those telltale red eyebrows or noticed a little fussiness, I started nursing, dancing, rocking, whatever. Naps resulted. They remained erratic, and are to this day (I think some babies are like that) but she's definitely napping more than she did during that transition period. The easiest nap to achieve is, I think, the morning nap. Try soothing her back to sleep after she has been up for an hour or hour and a half. This is all the easier if you have a morning routine that helps her know when to expect sleep.

At that age mine fed every hour during the day and was a good night sleeper as well, so I'm wondering if our babes have similar patterns.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I definitely don't expect her to just go to sleep on her own. She does sometimes fall asleep nursing, and I will pop her off if it's clear to me that she's *really* asleep. At these times, she'll stay asleep for 15-20 minutes, occasionally a little longer, provided that I don't move her (I nurse with her on a pillow, so she just sleeps on the pillow). I've tried gently picking her up and putting her in bed, or swaddling her and trying to rock her to sleep, but neither works--once she's been moved, she's wide awake.

BrklynMama...tell me more about the "red eyebrows"?!?

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
my nephews got the red eyebrows when they were sleepy.... basically when they got tired their eybrows (the skin not the hair, lol) turned red.... danny was so blond it just stood out like crazy on him

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Alayna is sometimes like this too, but with her, she has started rubbing her eyes when she's tired.
And she very rarely nurses to sleep, she like to be walked to sleep.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Heh.

My 6.5 month old daughter doesn't "nap" during the day on any kind of regular basis. She never really has. Like some other PP's babies, she sleeps while nursing. We call it 'getting into the zone'. She can nurse for long periods and will zone out when she's on the breast. She'll suckle for as long as 2 hours this way. Not always sucking hard enough to 'drink' but mainly for comfort. I've learned to accept this as her nap time. If I try to take her off the breast, even if she's unlatched by herself, she'll wake up. So now I know that for her mid-morning and mid-afternoon bf sessions, we just get comfy on the couch or on the bed and settle in for a long nurse. Sometimes I even nap with her.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Amanda ~ Have you tried putting her down on her belly? DS will nap 20 min tops on his back but when I started putting him on his belly.....ahhhhhhh.....2-3 hour naps.

I was very uncomfortable doing it at first and used to stay in the room with him (conveniently enough my computer is right near the changing table where he naps
). Now I just walk through and peek at him every so often.

The swing has also been very popular for napping with both of my babies.

And not very AP....but I'm grateful for our aquarium bouncer. DS loves it for a good 20 min....buys me a little time time to cook, eat, nurse DD etc. while hee coos and kicks.

Normally I would agree that if they need to nap on the breast, that's what they need but with all that you and your poor nipples have been through in the last two months...I think it's important for you to minimize sleep nursing.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharmama
Amanda ~ Have you tried putting her down on her belly? DS will nap 20 min tops on his back but when I started putting him on his belly.....ahhhhhhh.....2-3 hour naps.

Oh yeah! Can't believe I forgot this. That was just about the age that dd wouldn't sleep at ALL during the day on her back, but on her tummy.... ahhhh....

-Angela

·
Registered
464 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharmama
I did try that, but I have a frustrated crawler that decides to do push-ups in his sleep.

But you should try that, too, NYCVeg. When it works, I've heard it's a near miracle. Or is two months too little to try it yet? I suppose it depends on the head control.

Also, have you tried to see if she's waking at the same time every nap? You mentioned something about 15 minute naps. Elizabeth Pantley (No Cry Sleep Solution) suggests going into the room right as they are starting to wake (after about 15 minutes, actually) and rocking, patting or nursing back to sleep. The second stretch of sleep is usually much longer. I've never been that good at predicting this, but I know if I catch him while he's still sleepy he will go back and take a longer nap.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi Amanda,

Rosa will only sleep for longer than 20 minutes if she's in the wrap. We've noticed that sleep begets sleep around here...so we're in it all day long. She's up for around 4-6 hours a day and has a similar sleep pattern to Samara at night. The first sign of sleepy (red) eyes and I pop her in. She'll fuss for the first few minutes and then fall off to sleep with some walking around. I can then sit to type emails like right now! It's the only way I can eat as well.

Is she fussy at all during her up times or content?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Umm, I think some people are confused. NYCVeg was the op, and she's the one we should be trying to help. I was simply offering advice. Let's try to help the op, who has a younger baby with different issues.

Unless you all are just saying hi from other threads and I don't recognize your names. In which case, I'm sorry and

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymous4_20
Umm, I think some people are confused. NYCVeg was the op, and she's the one we should be trying to help. I was simply offering advice. Let's try to help the op, who has a younger baby with different issues.

Unless you all are just saying hi from other threads and I don't recognize your names. In which case, I'm sorry and

The OP, NYCVeg, is Amanda too!

·
Registered
464 Posts

No wonder I was so confused! I'm sure Amanda will acknowledge that it's not a very common name, at least not in my generation. I've only known one or two in real life, and whenever I'm in a room with another Amanda, we both jump whenever somebody says our name.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymous4_20

No wonder I was so confused! I'm sure Amanda will acknowledge that it's not a very common name, at least not in my generation. I've only known one or two in real life, and whenever I'm in a room with another Amanda, we both jump whenever somebody says our name.
Totally OT, but...when were you born? Amanda was in the top three baby names for the four or five years right after I was born (late 70s, early 80s), and in the top ten my year. There were FIVE other Amandas in my 250-girl high school, and I had two close friends named Amanda. We went by our last names.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts