Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds#2 is 23 months and still loves to nurse, though he's done to a few times during the day, and then a couple more times between dawn and actually waking in the morning. Overall, though, I'm guessing he's nursing 5-6 times in a 24 hour period. I'm also almost 10 weeks pregnant. But I seem to already be loosing my milk - ds seems to not actually drink much (at least, it doesn't sound like he's doing much swallowing), and loves to pacify at the breast. I don't mind him comfort nursing at all, but I have noticed his morning dipes are very concentrated with urine, which leads me to believe he's not getting much fluid at night at all, which again makes me suspect there isn't much of any milk there. I can't even hand-express any, no matter what time of day. Is it possible to loose milk so early in a pregnancy? Is there anything I can do (for example, take fenugreek) that's safe while pregnant to be able to up my milk a bit, so he's getting something? I don't see him giving up the nursing any time soon, but it would be nice to actually be providing him something at the same time. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
no fenugreek during pregnancy, so says kellymom.com.

Id get some alfalfa tablets and eat oatmeal in the mornings for some easy, quick increases in supply, without having to do herbal research besides that.

My first daughter nursed thru my second preg, and I noticed a decrease at about 20 weeks, by 25 weeks it was all gone.

My second daughter nursed thru my third pregnancy, and I noticed a decrease at about 12 weeks. By 20 weeks it was all gone.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Jeni. I think I'll walk down to the local health food store and see about alfalfa tablets (I think I could stomach those!) and oatmeal sounds pretty good too.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I started losing my milk at 8 weeks and I lost my milk completely by 13 weeks. My daughter was 30 months when I got pregnant and she hasn't even paused in her nursing frequency. She mentions that the milk is all gone but I told her it will come back when the baby comes and she's okay with that.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I'm almost 9 weeks pg and I have definitely noticed a drop in supply since about 4 weeks (right when I found out). It seems to waver, though. Like one day I feel like I have none at all and then the next day when DS nurses i hear him gulping. Strange. He's only 14 months, though, so I hope that my supply keeps up.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
My milk supply dropped around the 8 week mark during my second and third pregnancies. I had a really tough time nursing when it did. I couldn't find anything to bring my supply back up, but mid-pregnancy my colostrum came in and DS1 liked that.

Being sure that you are eating well and getting plenty of fluids may help some too.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
My milk supply decreased at about 8 weeks and I completely dried up around 12 weeks or so. My dd nurses 3x times a day somedays for comfort and some days not at all. So I have no clue if she will continue or not. I'm guessing that when the colostrum comes in (I'm 18 weeks now, and I think it came in mid-second tri in Anna's pregnancy) she will probably pick up nursing more.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Augustine, we are in the same boat! Dd was born in Sept 04 and I am also due in June.

My supply seems to be almost all gone. dd is not happy with it. I need to get more fluids in her and start giving her breakfast right after we get up. I am not used to that, she is usually fine with having breakfast at daycare about 2 hours after waking and nursing.

I pump at work and only got 2 ounces total yesterday with 2 pumping sessions so I am hanging up the horns. I will continue to nurse for comfort though. I just wish dd could understand why there is no more milk. She is also waking a lot at night to nurse and I'm exhausted.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, at least I'm not alone. Ds seems to not mind there not being much milk - he just likes to nurse. But I have been trying to be more congnizant of him needing more water and other fluids during the day, which have seem to help the night time diaper not be so concentrated. And fortunately, he's older (be 2 in a couple weeks), so he's pretty good about asking for something to drink. Hopefully he'll keep comfort nursing for a while, and maybe some collostrum will come in and he'll be happy with that.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KateMary
Augustine, we are in the same boat! Dd was born in Sept 04 and I am also due in June.

My supply seems to be almost all gone. dd is not happy with it. I need to get more fluids in her and start giving her breakfast right after we get up. I am not used to that, she is usually fine with having breakfast at daycare about 2 hours after waking and nursing.

I pump at work and only got 2 ounces total yesterday with 2 pumping sessions so I am hanging up the horns. I will continue to nurse for comfort though. I just wish dd could understand why there is no more milk. She is also waking a lot at night to nurse and I'm exhausted.

Same thing with me! DD just turned 1 yesterday, and I'm 8 weeks.. I haven't been pumping at all at work because 1, we had some stored up, DD and DH visit me on my breaks most of the time and I didn't feel the need to but DH insisted that I needed to because DD was in desperate need of it and she needs it to stay healthy and yada yada, it was cute everything he said and the reasoning cuz he doesn't really know all that much about bfing and extended bfing and he thinks i'm nuts sometimes & etc.. (LOL
) but I pumped and i got 1 whole oz. I'm pretty sure my supply is going down and I'm quite sad. I know DD will never stop nursing so I'll just continue trying to pump milk. I also wish she could understand why there is so much less milk as well.. Do you give your DC anything like goats milk for her to drink? DD hasn't been nursing as much at night the past couple of nights which I am enjoying so I hope that gets better for you as well!!!

Anyone know anything I can do to get my supply to go up? I have never heard of most of the things that people say to take, I live in South Dakota, the biggest city, but yet so small!....... If anyone could help that would be great!!!!

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by celestialdrmrmama
My milk supply decreased at about 8 weeks and I completely dried up around 12 weeks or so. My dd nurses 3x times a day somedays for comfort and some days not at all. So I have no clue if she will continue or not. I'm guessing that when the colostrum comes in (I'm 18 weeks now, and I think it came in mid-second tri in Anna's pregnancy) she will probably pick up nursing more.
I have to add to my previous post from yesterday cause I realized I was leaking colostrum yesterday!
I can actually express some too, which I guess is why its not hurting as much to nurse dd. I am completely sure that my milk was dried up before this, and its definitely colostrum. So for those of you early on and losing your supply, there is a little hope down the road!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.