Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies. I'm preparing for my first HSG and am terrified. I had some previous complications with a copper IUD (unbearable pain during and after insertion) and am worried the HSG will be the same. What worries me more is my doctor suggested I come to her clinic beforehand to have her personally insert the little tube to open my cervix, then have my husband drive me to the testing facility (about 15 minutes away) for them to administer the dye and do the actual test. She didn't say it outright, but it sounds like the people at the testing place are not very experienced inserting the catheter prior to injecting the dye. This sounds so alarming to me! Do I take her advice and risk having to deal with the pain of having this thing in my cervix for 20+ minutes while being expected to walk around and possibly sit in a waiting room, or do I risk just going through the testing facility and risking them fumbling the insertion? Do I have other options? Help :(

·
Premium Member
4,770 Posts
I would ask your doctor a few more questions like how might you feel during that time in between insertion and the test. If she is offering to help it might be really worth it. I took a valium and some ibuprofen before my HSG and I recommend getting some valium if you think you will be stressed out. The cervix is a sphincter and it doesn't open as well when you are stressed out. Make yourself as comfortable as you possibly can. It's a quick test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would ask your doctor a few more questions like how might you feel during that time in between insertion and the test. If she is offering to help it might be really worth it. I took a valium and some ibuprofen before my HSG and I recommend getting some valium if you think you will be stressed out. The cervix is a sphincter and it doesn't open as well when you are stressed out. Make yourself as comfortable as you possibly can. It's a quick test.
Thanks for the speedy response! She has prescribed me Xanax to take before the test. Hopefully this will help.

·
Premium Member
4,770 Posts
You're welcome! Xanax sounds lovely too. She sounds like a good doctor. I hope the test goes well and you see good results!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to share my update with you. I decided to call the testing center directly and they were really helpful. The clinic has about 6 doctors, and I told them I wanted to be scheduled with one who is EXTREMELY comfortable doing the HSG. They switched me from the doctor my gyno had recommended to another woman, who did a phenomenal job. If anyone in the DFW region is reading this and has to do an HSG, I highly recommend Dr. Mika Thomas at the Dallas Fertility Clinic. I took 4 regular ibuprofen about an hour before the procedure, and 1mg of Xanax half an hour before. I was still able to be in the moment and function fine, but I barely felt any cramping. Dr Mika is very skilled and has a lovely attitude. Unfortunately, both my tubes were blocked at the ends closest to my ovaries. But I am so relieved there was not a lot of pain like I had been expecting. Now I'm going back to my gyno today to find out what options await. If any other ladies here are dealing with blocked tubes, please feel free to comment and share with me your experiences. It's really rough news, but there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel!

·
Premium Member
4,770 Posts
I'm glad it went so smoothly and you felt comfortable! I hope you come up with a plan that works for you! Good luck! :dust

1 - 6 of 6 Posts