Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have anybody NB did this before. She started out going twice a day, her poop was yellow, chuckyish and smelled fine. Now this has been a day she hasn't poop, she seems to be fine but I am not sure what to think, DS had the normal liquidy seedy poop multiple times a day until he was 2 months.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. It is just that when DS started not going every day (he had a whole 10-12 days inbetween) he was 2+months old.

But DD is being total opposite, she never had the watery seedy poop, so far. It has only been yellow and chucks. She seems to be gaining find. Looks like she is already 8lbs ? ounches at 2 weeks old (she was 7lbs at birth). She pees alot and it is clear pee (it looks like water, yea ask me how I know, I just got peed on today for the first time
)

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I disagree. I don't think it's normal for a baby so young. Babies that are a few months old frequently go for a long time between poops, sure, that's pretty typical, but a newborn less than a month old should be pooping multiple times a day. If baby isn't, I would worry that baby is perhaps not nursing effectively and getting enough milk. If I were you, I'd get hold of a reliable infant scale, once accurate to within a half ounce, and start tracking baby's weight gain. If weight gain keeps progressing well, and baby continues to gain, and is peeing a lot, you can figure everything's fine. But if weight gain starts to slow or stop, you'll know, and you can look for causes and solutions. A newborn can deteriorate pretty quickly if (s)he's not getting enough milk, and infrequent stooling is a danger signal in a baby so young.

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/L...Jan98p123.html

If it were me, I'd just keep an eye on weight gain.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
I disagree. I don't think it's normal for a baby so young. Babies that are a few months old frequently go for a long time between poops, sure, that's pretty typical, but a newborn less than a month old should be pooping multiple times a day. If baby isn't, I would worry that baby is perhaps not nursing effectively and getting enough milk. If I were you, I'd get hold of a reliable infant scale, once accurate to within a half ounce, and start tracking baby's weight gain. If weight gain keeps progressing well, and baby continues to gain, and is peeing a lot, you can figure everything's fine. But if weight gain starts to slow or stop, you'll know, and you can look for causes and solutions. A newborn can deteriorate pretty quickly if (s)he's not getting enough milk, and infrequent stooling is a danger signal in a baby so young.

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/L...Jan98p123.html

If it were me, I'd just keep an eye on weight gain.
She seems to be gaining fine. On her 4th day, the MW weighed her w/ cloths and diaper and she was 7lbs 10ounces. I do rough weighing on our scale(our weight - my weight = roughly her weight) and as today it is saying 8lbs ? ounces. She has alot of wet diapers and her pee is water clear.

I am trying to get an appt. for her 2 week Well-check up to ask more questions.

·
Registered
471 Posts
DS, two weeks today, went 2 days without a poop this past week. Our doc said it was fine so long as he is peeing and gaining weight. That said, she has had us in for weight checks to keep an eye on things. Weighing on your home scale is not accurate enough for determining whether they are growing at the proper pace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.