Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My DD has always been a really happy, easy going baby. She rarely cried as an infant and has always been responded to in a positive and caring way. She was worn often, coslept until about 20 months when she decided she wanted to move into her "big girl bed" (although she is still welcome in our bed on nights she needs it), and was nursed until about 16/17 months, when again, she weaned herself. Now that she's two, however, she's begun crying a lot. She gets distraught over everything, it seems. She's very indecisive and will ask for something, but cry when you give it to her. To top it off, when she gets very upset, she says she wants to take a "nap" and goes and just lays in her bed with her binky (which she only uses in bed). Everyone says this is great, she's learning how to soothe herself and remove herself from a situation that makes her upset, but it makes me nervous. She does it MULTIPLE times a day. And she'll lay in her bed for anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. I check in on her and let her know that i'm there. I also let her know that crying and being sad, mad, etc., is ok. Sometimes it's frustrating, hard, etc. to not get what you want or not be able to do what you want to do. Essentially, I do my best to validate her feelings and let her know that I am there for her. But, she just wants to lie in bed. Is this normal?? Is this good like everyone is telling me?? Most of my friends and family don't really know about or practice attachment parenting. I just don't know if there is something else I should be doing... <br><br>
Thank you!</p>

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
<p>She sounds alot like my ds. It was normal for him. He is a true introvert and I'm very extroverted and this was only one of the many struggles I had in his young-toddler days. Sounds like you are doing everything 'right'.</p>

·
Registered
170 Posts
<p>My daughter does this too, sometimes.  Introverts need a while to recharge. :)  If you're worried, you could read a book while she's hanging, being quiet in there together.  It'll encourage her to be literate.</p>

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
<p>DS does this and I encourage it. He lies on his bed with his soother. He has a shelf near his bed with books and will mostly sit/lie and look at one after he is done crying. I will sometimes ask if he wants me to quietly lie with him or if wants to be alone (esp if he is mad at me or we had a fight). Half the time he  wants me to lie with him but not talk I have to bite my tongue sometimes to keep from wanting to lecture (it is never good when I do)  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I do think it is a healthy thing for her and I also think it is healthy that you connect with her and remind her that expressing emotions are ok I also think she needs to feel that it is ok to want some alone time.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts