Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and it's only May!!!<br><br>
DS had a fever last week of 102.3. He was fine one second aside from the fever then covered in a rash the next. At first we thought it was bug bites since he'd been in the sandbox, but other son had no bites and he was in the sandbox too. Then we noticed his "bites" were rapidly multiplying as he sat on my lap. We wondered if the fever was causing the rash or the other way around. We went outside where it was just starting to cool down in the evening and suddenly the rash disappeared, so we decided it was just a heat rash. This happened again twice more during the next 2 days when he had the fever. Then 2 days ago it happened again when he had no fever and again last night with no fever. He'd just gone to bed about 30 minutes before and was screaming and screaming. I went up to see him and discovered he was covered in bumps/rash again and very itchy. I put a fan in his room, opened his windows and put a cool cloth on his forehead. He went straight back to sleep and the rash went away shortly after.<br><br>
Is this normal???? It seems strange to me.

·
Registered
702 Posts
My DS is very hot natured too. He gets heat rash very easily. We don't put him in any pajamas because he would sweat so badly and break out with the rash.<br><br>
My MIL was worried about thyroid issues because of it, but the pedi said that he has none of the other thyoid indicators- dropping weight, etc. (She was worried because SIL has thyroid problems.) But my pedi assured me its normal and he's just a hot natured baby.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you LoveLife!!! Just needed some reassurance...we've been to hell and back with our other DS and try really hard not to panic when something weird starts, but just needed to hear it was nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My DD is doing this to, and we just figured it was heat rash, but, Centura, she has had a cough. Is it possibly something else?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Something viral is definately going around, no pediatrician or doctor I have talked to have heard anything like it, but all my three kids has gone through the EXACT same cycle, they got sick a whole week apart. First DD1 Got a fever, lasted about 36h, then she felt fine for a few days, then she got a nagging dry cough that mainly showed up during the night. The third day of the cough, she started getting hives in completely random places on her body. The cough has lasted over 2 weeks, and been mostly dry but some days just mucusy enough to make them sound like they have a "frog" in their throat when they wake up. The hives was worst the 2nd and 3rd day, but took as long as the cough to completely dissapear.<br>
The other two kids got sick as I said, a week apart, but followed the exact same pattern, to the day basically...<br>
I got the same cough as they have, but no fever or rash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts