Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
My DD is almost 2-- 23 months. She has yet to show a preference for either hand.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
My dd is 23 months. More of the time she colors with her right hand, but more of the time she eats with her left

-Angela

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
My dd is 23 months. More of the time she colors with her right hand, but more of the time she eats with her left

-Angela
That's interesting. We've been thinking my niece left handed because she eats with her left hand almost all the time. Guess it's still up in the air.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I have three kids - one leftie and two righties. The righties were always righties; we could tell from very young (18-24 months?), but the leftie was ambidextrious for years. We were really sure she was a leftie when she was four or five. Both parents are righties, all four grandparents were righties, but one of her great grandparents (dh's mom's father) was a leftie. So interesting.

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Just to let you know, some kids show an early preference for one hand or the other, but "hand dominance" isnt permanently wired until age 7. So, up until then, then can (and sometimes do) switch back and forth.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by A&A
Just to let you know, some kids show an early preference for one hand or the other, but "hand dominance" isnt permanently wired until age 7. So, up until then, then can (and sometimes do) switch back and forth.
cool to know

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Dd has shown a very early preference for her left hand -- will switch spoons and markers into her left hand all the time. She started doing this about 18 months. It'll be interesting to see if she changes. Left handedness runs in my family, so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Ds seems to be a rightie - but only began showing a preference about 4. He now, at age 5, chooses to write with his right hand all the time.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
My 16 mo has shown a preference for his right hand since he was old enough to start feeding himself (about 8 months).

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glamourfaust
I remember reading a few years ago that handedness is directly related to the direction the hair swirls at the crown. No joke!
i wonder what that means for poor corkscrew hair dd. Maybe all the curly kids are ambidextrious

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirsten
I have three kids - one leftie and two righties. The righties were always righties; we could tell from very young (18-24 months?), but the leftie was ambidextrious for years. We were really sure she was a leftie when she was four or five.
Same here, except I have one of each. DS1 is still fairly ambi (at almost 9) but writes w/ left. DS2 (22mos) is definitely a rightie.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts