Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this normal? She cries until we wake her, then says scared, but she doesn't have the language to explain what it is. This is not every night, maybe 4 or 5 times total, in the last 3 mos or so. Twice last night. She'll cuddle and nurse back to sleep fine.

She's also recently become afraid of things, namely trains and bugs, esp. flies. It's not too problematic to deal with, I'm just wondering what causes it. I think of nightmares as a manifestation of emotional disturbance, and her life is mostly pretty idyllic, so I don't have a clue where it comes from. Any input?

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Unfortunately I have no advice here, sorry mama-- but I really do hope it gets better.

My dd (18 mos) had what I think was a nightmare for the first time last week after a nap, and it scared the living bejeezus out of me. She was crying like I've never heard her cry before, and wouldn't even sit up or look at me or anything. I really thought something was horribly wrong, like she was in a lot of pain or something. I finally got her a little more alert and distracted, but MAN I was not expecting that. I really feel for you guys, that is sure a scary experience, and I hope you can get it worked out. There is something so mysterious about dreams... it's hard to know where it comes from or what to do. At least she knows her mama is there to comfort her.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a toddler and a newborn and both cry in their sleep from time to time. They also laugh a lot.
Who knows why?

My toddler does wake upset on very rare occasions and settles with cuddles. I just think that even if there's no great trauma going on in his everyday life, he's still learning heaps, still gets overtired or feels a bit "off", and who's to say he'll never dream about something he saw during the day that disturbed him?

As long as it's not occuring on a regular basis, I figure it's normal and just do my best to reassure him that he's safe and whatever scared him isn't going to harm him.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have had children who woke with night terrors since they were very small..my oldest would just sit up in bed, eyes open and scream. Nothing we did would help. Turns out my son had lactose intolerance and tummy issues so that's why he'd wake up screaming. I mean all out screaming, not just crying.

It sounds to me like a development stage for her. Just keep helping her overcome her fears in the daytime and at night things should get better. If you think her fears are overwhelming and you need help, go talk to the pediatrician about it!

Sophie was terrified of dogs for a while (we don't have one). I just would hold her and very slowly allow her to explore on her terms. Took about 2 months, but now she doesn't freak out when she sees a dog, but doesn't necessarily approach them or want to be around them, yk?

Hugs mama

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Night terrors sound so awful, I'm glad we don't have that problem. And that you identified the lactose intolerance!

Today I started making a joke out of it when dd hears a train (never knew just how many trains go through this town till dd learned how to say it!). I play being very concerned, check her out for broken bones and contusions, etc, hug her with relief, and say, "Oh good! It didn't get you!" That made her laugh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts