Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I am due with DS2 in late March.  DS1 will be about 21 mo when DS2 is born.  With DS1 we had the crib side-carred to our bed for a while and liked that set-up.  DS1 is now (and has been for over a year) sleeping in the crib in another room.  I am thinking about transitioning him to a big bed before the new baby comes, because I don't want to have to buy/have another crib.  Am I asking for trouble?? ;)  My mom said she moved me to a big bed before my sister was born (we are 24 mo apart) and didn't have any problems with the transition.   Any thoughts or advice are welcome!</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
<p>Go for it!  it will be exciting for him.  We moved DD (23 mos.) from our bed to a toddler bed 3 nights ago, and it has been heaven.  The first two nights she slept from 10 p.m. until I woke her at 6:30 a.m.  Last night she woke around 2:30, because she was cold.  She thinks it is <em>very grown up</em> to sleep in a big girl bed and takes it very seriously.  Since he's already sleeping alone in his own room, it should be a piece of cake!</p>

Reactions: Courtney-Ostaff

·
Registered
170 Posts
<p>My daughter transferred to a toddler bed squished between our bed and the wall at 2 1/2, and it's worked out great so far.  Like the second poster's daughter, she does sometimes get cold in the middle of the night and snuggles back with us.  I'm tempted to sneak in an electric blanket, but then I get thinking of EM fields....She likes having her own space.</p>

·
Registered
940 Posts
<p>We transferred DD at about 18 months to her own bed from ours. "Her own bed" is actually just a twin-sized mattress (no box springs) straight on the floor because I didn't want to risk her having a big fall. Immediately after switching her she started sleeping much longer periods of time like the second poster's daughter. It's been great! </p>

·
Registered
144 Posts
<p>Just before DD turned 2, she decided she wanted to sleep in the Big Bed (a guest bed in our nursery).  We took the side off the crib to convert it to a toddler bed, but that was not good enough -- it had to be the Big Bed.  She got used to it quickly, after falling out once or twice.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The last time we had guests, she was OK with moving to the toddler bed for a few nights, but I suspect there may be some tears the next time Grandma and Grandpa need to sleep in her bed!</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts