Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished reviewing the national and local c-section data for 2004 and I am beyond outraged. The national rate is now 29.1% and the successful VBAC rate has dropped to a mere 10%. This is really horrible.

In my local area there are three large hospitals whose c/s rates for 2004 were greater than 40%. The worst being 48%!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot and will not believe that almost every other woman who walks into that hospital to have a baby needs a medically necessary c-section.

OBs and a majority of American women have gone mad. There is a total lack of informed consent for this MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY compared to other surgeries performed in a similar manner!! I wish I could single-handedly do something about this, but I can't and that is so frustrating.

And my father wonders why, baring a true life-threatening medical emergency, I absolutely will not set foot in a hospital/surgery mill to birth my babies.

I understand not everyone is ready or able to birth at home, but I STRONGLY encourage everyone planning a hospital birth to get straight, documented answers about your care provider and hospital's c/s and instrument delivery rates. Please be an informed consumer.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i hear ya. it's another tool designed to actually save lives that has gotten way out of hand.

and the medical professionals excuse...they don't want the liablity of a vaginal birth that could go wrong. ugh, when are they going to start being sued for unnessessary surgery?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Whats really sad is that most women have absolutely NO IDEA why a c-section wouldn't be a good option. And many would prefer it! When people ask me why I don't want to give birth in a hospital I am at a loss for words that will make sense to them. My response is that birth is a private experience for me and I want to do it on my own without interventions.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I'm saddened but not surprised.

In late 2004, two friends and myself were all due within 3 weeks of each other. All 3 of us were induced - one at 41 weeks with cervadil, pitocin and amniotomy, me at 39 weeks via amniotomy (I was 6 cm dilated, completely effaced and facing a hurricane evacuation), and the third at 39 weeks via pitocin and cervadil. I had a natural birth with no meds or interventions other than the amniotomy, the other two ended in C-sections.

To paraphrase the Vagina Monologues - this time my vagina is staying home when birth comes!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i like to tell my childbirth ed student that induction is the enemy and it is such a slippery slope. the other major trend that disturbs me is that we have a rising premature baby rate in this country at the same time that the usual risk factors for prematurity are falling (teen mothers, smoking mothers, etc.). the only other stats that are rising with the prematurity rate are c/s and induction rates. how is it that people cannot figure out that doctors are forcing babies out of mothers' wombs before they are ready?

almost every one of my doula clients must wage the induction battle with their care providers. and unfortunately this battle is starting earlier and ealrier. most folks must start holding thier care providers off at 38 weeks. think of the negative psychological effect this has to take a mother at 38 weeks and tell her-- we are setting the timer on you and if your body doesn't do it for you by 41 1/2 weeks we're going to make you!! i had a client who was charting at conception and very sure of her dates who carried her baby to 43 weeks 3 days and gave birth to a 7lb. 11oz. healthy baby girl (w/ a lay midwife of course). i can't imagine how under developed that baby would have been if an OB had forced the issue 2 weeks earlier.

i feel sad for the women who "don't get it." my womb is sacred to me, the seat of my personal power if you will (i am a very sacral chakra kind of person). so it is very difficult for me to understand women who so casually desecrate their own wombs by doing things like having a scheduled c/s so they can make the conference trip at the end of the month with no concern for the future ramifications on their children or their childbearing options and abilities.

i'm glad i can vent here. this just makes me more emotional than usual now that i'm growing another child.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.