Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 538 Posts

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Hey! Thanks sniffmommy for the thread. I did have a problem yesterday. My microwave blow-up! It was on fire the real thing.

I missed reporting here. LOL So, here we go.

Day 1- $0.00
Day 2- $0.00
Day 3 -$10.00 for a replacement meal. >:D It was crazy
Day 4-$0.00 snowed in

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Day 1- $0.00
Day 2- $0.00
Day 4-$0.00 snowed in
Day 5 $11.00 Xtra stuff

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright. Back to it! I just dropped my sister off at the airport and now Christmas vacation is officially over.
I'm looking forward to this month. I've got my meal plan in place and have been sticking to it.
My DD1 had oral surgery, and it was $1400, but I didn't have to panic since I have been working on setting aside money from last year. What a relief to just pay, and not panic about where to get the money. Now I am going to focus on refilling up that savings account. @Nazsmum. Sorry your microwave caught on fire! I hope that it didn't cause too much damage.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
What a relief to just pay, and not panic about where to get the money.
That is a good feeling.

About the microwave? It was crazy. It was going for 30secs? Maybe? THEN smoke pouring out. N (12) pulled the plug and that we the end of the dumb thing. Will I get a new one??? Maybe not. We really did not use that thing very much...DH might want to get it...we will see.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Day 1- $0.00
Day 2- $0.00
Day 4-$0.00 snowed in
Day 5 $11.00 Xtra stuff
Day 6 - $31.00 for D's B-day lunch:love

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Have bought nothing but groceries, mostly produce, since the New Year. Been mostly snowed in at home. I will re-enter the real world in a couple of days i.e. head back to Town.

(With the exception of paying January rent for my middle two kids, and the leftover college tuition for the two older girls. But hehe, I don't count those things. They're not discretionary. They come out of education savings and out of a different category in my brain, one where I don't feel guilt or worry.)

Right now I'm wrestling over the need to replace a dollar-store knob that stripped and fell off a kitchen cabinet. I could spend $1 and replace it. Or, knowing that a bunch of the other knobs and handles are loose and probably going to fall off soon, i could spend $40 and replace all the pulls with metal rather than cheap plastic. The current stuff looks really budget. That would probably be worth doing, get it all matching, make it look better. But if I'm going to pull all the hardware off, I should probably take the opportunity to re-paint the cupboards, because there are a lot of chips and dings and not-properly filled old screw-holes and such which makes it tough to clean them and impossible to keep them looking clean even if they are. But if I'm going to repaint, I should probably take the opportunity while the doors are off the cabinets to install soft-close concealed hinges so we don't have the semi-concealed 70's stuff showing and don't need to deal with the old nylon-bushing friction latches that are constantly needing adjustment. All told it would probably cost a couple of hundred dollars and a week or two of on-and-off work to do all that. But there's a chance we might gut and completely remodel the kitchen in 12-18 months to bring it up to par with the rest of the house and vastly increase the functionality of the space, ff we can afford to, and if we're still planning to sell a year or so afterwards. In which case ... why fix things now?

So ... do I buy the dollar-store knob, or not?

Overthink much? :lol

Miranda

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So ... do I buy the dollar-store knob, or not?

Overthink much? :lol

Miranda
I shared this post with my DH because we could totally relate. "Sounds like us!" he said. :laugh:

I would buy $40 pulls. The satisfaction of the new great looking pulls would tide me over for a while, and I would be able to overlook the other flaws for a bit. It also helps me to "shop" virtually and come up with designs for my future kitchen. This way I feel like I can continue to put up with what I have until I get to redo things fully.
THEN...the *old me* would start trolling rebuild centers and thrift stores, and craigslist to see if I can find comparable items, and would spend money I shouldn't spend. Then I would have to spend more money to retrofit my "thrifty" purchases. But...that's the old me. :wink:

Taking the lights off the house today, and cleaning. $0

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Day 1- $0.00
Day 2- $0.00
Day 4-$0.00 snowed in
Day 5 $11.00 Xtra stuff
Day 7- $0.00 - I went to see I, Tonya. Free (good movie) :thumb I stopped myself from getting popcorn.
@moominmamma I vote you are over thinking it. I would live without it if that would work. :wink:

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
with a possible chance to remodel in 12-18 months time .... i would only spend the 1 dollar ...
I should have explained that the remodel will be as we vacate the place and put it on the market, so I will never get to enjoy it. (The remodel would be in order to make it more marketable. Right now it's like the kitchen of a 1950s summer-bungalow, and a really badly laid out one at that. A family without a second house would be really hard-pressed to live with this one for even a short while.) So it's not really one of those "deferment of gratification" situations, not in the normal sense.

I'm leaning towards doing the $200 of cosmetic stuff. I have the time, I enjoy the work, and we could use all the hardware again if we do the full remodel, so that part of the cost wouldn't be wasted money. And I'd have surfaces that weren't permanently sticky and grotty-looking. :)

Then again this morning I was leaning towards just buying a few mis-matched plastic cabinet knobs. Who knows where I'll be at tomorrow.

Nothing purchased today yet. Will have to run out for a few groceries in a bit but that's all.

Miranda

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Day 1- $0.00
Day 2- $0.00
Day 4-$0.00 snowed in
Day 5 $11.00 Xtra stuff
Day 7- $0.00 - I went to see I, Tonya. Free (good movie) :thumb I stopped myself from getting popcorn.
Day 8 - Happy B-day D $$ but all for a great kid:love

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Happy birthday to Nazsmum's D! :jumpers

Wrote a big fat cheque for the balance of Fiona's Marine Biology course. Bought a few groceries but not many, since we have a lot of bulk food put by.

Miranda

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Hello Ladies

I am trying to get more on track this year, and I need to cut back and be more creative with what I have already.

I'm working on meal planning because we eat out too much or buy prepared foods, this week we were able to make 3 dinners for a family of 4 for $14.00. Ground beef was the main hence the higher price.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Welcome @VsAngela :grin:

Day 1- $0.00
Day 2- $0.00
Day 4-$0.00 snowed in
Day 5 $11.00 Xtra stuff
Day 9 - So far so good. $0.00

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome VsAngela!

Two days in a row, the kids have opted out of socializing field trips after we get our work done. I think they got worn-out during our extended family holiday celebrations.
Saves me money. Haha!
$0

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Yes. Consolidated points I have been collecting on three cards to one card that can be used a the grocery store. I have $60.00 dollars that I can redeem for my next trip to the grocery store.

On DH's case to reset his air miles password so he can use his points for gas/ groceries might be able to not spend any money on groceries and gas for this week.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :smile:

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Day 1- $0.00
Day 2- $0.00
Day 4-$0.00 snowed in
Day 5 $11.00 Xtra stuff
Day 9 - So far so good. $0.00
Day 10- $0.00

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Running around today, and tomorrow. I've planned ahead for our lunches and snacks. Yay me! Hopefully, I'll be immune to the kids asking for drive through. ?

1 - 20 of 538 Posts