Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, this is my first post here. I'm so glad i found this great community!

21 month old DS has been a great sleeper so far. He has been on a very regular schedule, and easily adjusts to changes. Last week, something changed. No matter how tired or awake he is, he just won't go down for a sleep. This includes his daily nap at 12:30, his nightly bedtime at 8:00, and anytime he wakes up in the middle of the night.

EVERYTHING has been great with him till now. He has always gone piecefully to sleep (crib) after a few books. He has a great personality... friendly with everyone, happy, loving, curious, etc, etc. During the waking hours, he is fine. I've checked his ears, health, BMs, possible pain, temp, that he has a full belly. I don't think its a physical health issue, but it might be a mental health issue. If this keeps up, I'll take him to the Doc.. but I'm not sure it is at that level. He has never slept well in the family bed. He has always slept much better in his own space.

I have spent hours (1, 2, 3, 4) at each sleep trying to get him to rest. I've tried every strategy I could think of. The only thing that has worked so far is when I held him for his entire 4 hour nap the other day. Every time I tried to put him down... the problem started.

The problem is that if I leave him at any point for him to sleep, or if he thinks I am going to leave, he gets hysterical. I've sat next to him for 30 minutes while he slept, and as soon as I get up to leave, he wakes up. He climbs out of his crib (or where ever else he might be sleeping) and screams in what seems like a panic. I've tried everything... rubbing till he reaches deep sleep, rocking, reading, returning every 45 seconds to comfort him, etc. Nothing works, the moment I leave everything goes south and I need to start from scratch.

I also have a 5 month old, so I cannot dedicate all of my time to this level of nurturing. I have had to resort to CIO (not for lack of trying other things) on most occasions. When I do this, it takes him over an hour to fall asleep. And that is after several hours of trying to get him to sleep a nice way.

For you no-CIO folks out there, I suppose I could abandon more responsibilities than I already have (including maintaining my own sanity) and hold him for 16 hours a day. Is this what you would suggest? I'd love to find a way to avoid cio, but I just can't. Any good suggestions here?

So I don't imagine anyone is going to say I'm doing the right thing here, but anybody have any ideas or secrets to share?

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Could he be getting his 2-year molars? My SIL had the same thing happen with my niece, and it was her molars coming in.

Please don't make him CIO. If he won't sleep, let him stay up and play or do other things.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.