Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I never thought I'd see the day when Orac and NVIC would agree on anything, but both are against the 21st Century Cures Act, which awaits Obama's signature.

What is your take on this legislation? Great break-through for medicine? Weakened research soon to create a public health crisis?

Here's an earlier MDC discussion of it.

I agree with the critics who see it as a corporate welfare hand-out to Pharma, but I'm interested in hearing everybody's thoughts.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
I don't know that much about it...but my initial mixed feelings are negative.

While I applaud people in dire straights being able to get medication that might be life saving more quickly (and I do applaud it - I have no issues with "right to try"), I think the act is too sweeping.

The act lowers requirements for drug testing - correct?

I think that might be fine to a degree (note the multiple italics) for genuinely life saving medication, but it is not appropriate for the vast majority of medication which do not save lives. This includes vaccines, which by their nature are prophylactic.

Drug licensing requirements are there for a reason, and for the most part, I wish they were stricter, not looser.

Subbing.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Isn't it telling that Senator Sanders and Senator Warren voted NO on this?!! This bill has NOTHING to do with r&d and EVERYTHING to do with deregulating the vaccine industry. Oh wait I mean the INDEMNIFIED vaccine industry! Funds for "research" have to be appropriated with every congressional session.

Grieving fathers make easy marks, and Pharma just raked the Vice President over the coals!

Mirzam posted this in the last thread but wanted to post again.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
But actually i would love to know what this brilliant panel thinks of "Bayesian" methods of data analysis?

Also, why do y'all think it is that Orac agrees? I think the winds of change are afoot, but don't want to get too hopeful.

Thx Turquesa for this thread again.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I don't know that much about it...but my initial mixed feelings are negative.

While I applaud people in dire straights being able to get medication that might be life saving more quickly (and I do applaud it - I have no issues with "right to try"), I think the act is too sweeping.

The act lowers requirements for drug testing - correct?

I think that might be fine to a degree (note the multiple italics) for genuinely life saving medication, but it is not appropriate for the vast majority of medication which do not save lives. This includes vaccines, which by their nature are prophylactic.

Drug licensing requirements are there for a reason, and for the most part, I wish they were stricter, not looser.

Subbing.
Welcome to the for profit american "health" care world, my Canadian friend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts