Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DD has been hitting lately. Only when she says "ayow" which means "i dont want" in Tagalog. I've never laid a hand on her, and neither has anyone else, so I'm wondering if this is just a natural thing, for kids to hit when they don't want something or are trying to get you to stop doing something. Should I even make a big deal out of it? I've told her that it hurts, that it doesnt feel good to hit people and that it makes people sad. I've even put her on time out because of it and no really great results. Makes me think its just something that she'll grow out of. Am I wrong about that or should I keep trying to get her to stop?

·
Registered
847 Posts
My daughter started hitting at around the same age, same thing, she'd never been hit or seen hitting. She would run up to me, slap me, and yell 'bad boy!'. I told her that it hurt and and I didn't like it, and tried my best to not make a big deal out of it, then I would redirect her to give me a high five instead (which she enjoyed as she had just learned how to do it). Eventually she stopped with the 'bad boy' (where she got that from I will never know), and while she does occasionally hit now, it's a rarity compared to when it started.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts