Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This baby was exclusively bf until 4 mo. when the ped told his mom he needed to go on a diet, that he was gaining too much weight. He's still bf but mom gives him fruits & veggies & cereal to fill him up in between feedings.

Am I alone in thinking this dr doesn't know what she's talking about!??

Shannon

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
No, you're not alone. IMO, this baby isn't even old enough for fruits and veggies and cereal yet- and the fruits and cereal could set him up for real obesity.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Oh give me a break! (not you...the dr) ALL of my kids have been chunky monks!! My DD is 5.5 mo and at last weigh (4 mo) was 22 lbs...It is IMPOSSIBLE to be obese from BF...also, all of mine have been HUGE until they begin to walk...then they thin out...it's almost like saved energy!!

If I were her, I'd cut the food and go back to EBF...cut the dr too.....

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Exclusive BFing won't cause obesity, however, the solids (esp the cereal) is not ok IMO. Whatever size baby should be he/she will be on BM alone until approaching a year old. DRs don't know ANYTHING about parenting or diet/nutrition. Ask them what training they've had in either and be shocked at the reponse.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I mean, how on earth would you go about putting a 5 month old on a diet anyway? I mean, for the first 6 months, it's suppose to be exclusively breastfed, or if that's impossible, formula fed. What is there to cut back on?

If he meanst to cut out the solid foods for right now, then that's not a putting the child on a "diet" that's just cutting back the solids.

I don't get it. What, are you supposed to put him on skim milk or something?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
That is unbelievable. Instead of being happy and excited that this baby is thriving so well on mama's milk, he is too fat?!
:
My babies have always grown super fast early on and are chunky monkeys as well. My DS #2 was over 18 pounds at 3 months. They slow down after a while.
I agree with what others have said, baby should be exclusively breastfeeding at 4 and 5 months of age.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
:

My DD is 7 1/2 months and wears 12 and 18 month sized clothes. She actually weighs 24 pounds now. Her 2 1/2 year old brother weighs 23 pounds! He is 21 months older than she is and is smaller than her.

If our Pedi told me something that ridiculous I would drop them in an instant. I also agree that the babe is way too young for solids.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
It is so sad that drs will make these comments about EBF babies!!

This happened to my bf with her dd. She of course just let the info go in one ear and out the other. Now at 3 yo her new ped suggested they start adding more fat/calories into her diet. She went from being off the chart as an infant to just the 10% as a toddler (right where she should be for her). Drs are so used to ff babies and the concerns that can go along with that. They forget the same rules don't apply for a bf baby!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I so needed this thread today. I had the 4 month appointment for my DS yesterday and the doctor gave me a hard time about fast he is growing. He used the question that I hate "how long is he nursing?" I don't know, I don't watch the clock, so I guessed at around 30 to 45 minutes. The doctor told me that is too long and to take him off the breast at 30 minutes. Then later he gave me a hard time because he at his current growth rate he is going to be more than twice his birth weight at 6 months. Then we got into it about the growth charts.

All of this around challenging me about some teething behavior that I have been seeing for the past week. My older son did the same thing at this age.

I came home from the doctor so upset. I am thinking about looking for another doctor but wondering if I should wait until DS is a year first.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Leisl

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lathen View Post
Then later he gave me a hard time because he at his current growth rate he is going to be more than twice his birth weight at 6 months. Then we got into it about the growth charts.

Leisl
Snort! My ds was twice his birth rate at 3 month checkup!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Well, maybe you don't have the whole picture. If the person told the dr. she was exclusively breastfeeding, then yeah, seems very odd. But if she told the doc she was giving baby fruits and veggies and cereal and breastfeeding, the doc could very well have meant to cut back on the fruits and veggies and cereal and rely on breastfeeding. Or should we assume that absolutely wasn't the case?

I am confused by "fill him up between feedings." If he is getting full from breastfeeding, why does he need filling up between times? Or is there a milk supply problem?

I may be the odd one out, but I have seen babies that DO look way overweight. Isn't it entirely possible that mom's can over feed their babies? Particularly if feeding them "shuts" up the crying and fussing?

I sort of saw this happening with a mom in my breastfeeding support group yesterday. She claimed the baby is hungry every five minutes and is nursing 24/7 and she can't take it anymore. And that yes, the baby is eating at all those times.

I watched her talk about this in the group, her baby made a slight sound and she whips out the boob. He didn't act hungry but I couldn't help but feel something else beyond normal hunger was going on there though who am I to say?

I am all for nursing on demand but I sometimes wonder just what demand means and if sometimes nursing is done for the mother at times rather than the baby. So maybe the same dynamic can happen with feeding food and nursing and it's entirely possible in this way a baby could get to be over weight.

I am reminded of a friend of mine who whenever she is down, want's a "treat" (sugar, caffeine, anything). She always felt that this was left over from her mother who whenever she cried or was upset, her mother would give her a treat to "shut" her up or make her feel better. Sort of like the joke of "have a cuppa, dear" as a solution to upsets.

i am rambling i think. *lol*

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by anewmama View Post
I may be the odd one out, but I have seen babies that DO look way overweight. Isn't it entirely possible that mom's can over feed their babies? Particularly if feeding them "shuts" up the crying and fussing?

I sort of saw this happening with a mom in my breastfeeding support group yesterday. She claimed the baby is hungry every five minutes and is nursing 24/7 and she can't take it anymore. And that yes, the baby is eating at all those times.

I watched her talk about this in the group, her baby made a slight sound and she whips out the boob. He didn't act hungry but I couldn't help but feel something else beyond normal hunger was going on there though who am I to say?

I am all for nursing on demand but I sometimes wonder just what demand means and if sometimes nursing is done for the mother at times rather than the baby. So maybe the same dynamic can happen with feeding food and nursing and it's entirely possible in this way a baby could get to be over weight.

I am reminded of a friend of mine who whenever she is down, want's a "treat" (sugar, caffeine, anything). She always felt that this was left over from her mother who whenever she cried or was upset, her mother would give her a treat to "shut" her up or make her feel better. Sort of like the joke of "have a cuppa, dear" as a solution to upsets.

My second son had "silent" reflux and he wanted to nurse every 10 minutes around the clock for a long time to "kill the burn." I did not realize it until later, however, or would have tried to treat it somehow other than the elimination diets I was doing.

BFing is for so much more than hunger. If you have a high-need baby and nothing works other than to nurse, what is mom supposed to do? With my frequent nurser, he took much less milk at one time than my DD now does (she nurses long and tanks up at one sitting). DS is still a grazer all these years later.

I have never seen an EBF baby that looks too fat to me. DS#2 looked like the Michelin man but it was so adorable and now he's 5-1/2 and completely normal weight for his height, solid and muscular.

I have seen some babies (my DH and his sister) who did look almost too overweight as babies, but his mom kept plying them with formula (just finish another ounce or two) and started solids at 3 weeks old (wanted all those finished too). It's no wonder that DH and SIL are morbidly obese adults.

I'm probably rambling too. This is just my humble opinion. I nursed all 3 little ones completely on demand and got 3 very different body types.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by anewmama View Post
Well, maybe you don't have the whole picture. If the person told the dr. she was exclusively breastfeeding, then yeah, seems very odd. But if she told the doc she was giving baby fruits and veggies and cereal and breastfeeding, the doc could very well have meant to cut back on the fruits and veggies and cereal and rely on breastfeeding. Or should we assume that absolutely wasn't the case?

I am confused by "fill him up between feedings." If he is getting full from breastfeeding, why does he need filling up between times? Or is there a milk supply problem?

Exclusively breastfed babies will not be overfed.

-Angela

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.