Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our baby was born yesterday morning at about 5:30, so he's about 27 hours old now. Our midwife said that we should expect him to poop sometime in the first 24 hours, but so far, nothing, not even when he was being born. He is nursing great and did finally pee a few hours ago. Did anyone else experience this? We'll talk about it with our midwife when she comes to visit sometime later this morning, but I thought I'd ask here too, rather than consulting Dr. Google since I don't want to scare myself.

Did it take a long time for your baby to have his first mec. poop? Anything we can/should do to help things along? All of our other babies were poop machines from the moment they came out, so this is new for us.

Thanks!

Lex

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hmmmm.....Mine was also a poop machine, but I was actually told to make sure there was pee every 24 hours... I know older babies can "hold it" for days at a time and it's totally normal. I would watch your son's belly to make sure it doesn't become hard and swollen because that could be a digestion problem or a blockage. Otherwise, I'd wait it out longer. Happy pooping and congrats on your new baby!!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
seems like it took ds a bit over the 24hr mark to go, and then it was a total blowout! poor kid had poo up to his armpits!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
My DD2 is 3 weeks old and had her first mec poo a few hours after birth, but I've known babies like the PP who didn't and then when it finally happened it was spectacular!!! Hopefully everything turns out okay. I do know a few of the reasons for lack of pooing, but like you said, it's better not to freak yourself out over what could be nothing.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any pooping advice, but wow! Congratulations!!!
:
:
:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I really think it will be OK. If he's eating a lot and already peeing, then it should be heading out pretty soon. Unless he is showing any other symptoms.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!

He ended up pooping right at the 37-hour mark, after a long massage from our midwife. She had told us earlier on the phone that as long as he was farting, not to worry, and he was farting plenty. He just had a really strong mucus plug, holding it all in. He's pooped twice more since then, so we've reached the diapers stage of parenting once again! Our last baby was 10-10 at birth, and this new one is about 6-12 at the moment; it is soooo different to diaper such a teeny tiny bum! But I'm very glad to do it

Lex

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yay!!! Congrats!!!!

I sooooo know what it's like to have an "average size" baby after having such huge babies. I remember finally feeling like I had a Baby Baby! LOL!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts