Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ds doesn't wear diapers during the day for about 6 weeks now so pooping on the toilet is new to him which I understand perfectly. But he resists it so much that he has a BM about once a week. I know he needs to go up to 2-3 days before he actually, finally can't resist it anymore. When he has the urge he will go to the toilet many times quite happily but as soon as he sits down he starts to cry and scream saying he doesn't have to go anymore. When it gets really frequent (like every 5-10 min) and I know he can't resist much more I have to physically hold him on the toilet while he screams and finally he is successful. It is not hard for him to pass and it doesn't seem to hurt he just doesn't like it. I know it sounds like his screams must be out of pain but I don't think so - he starts to scream when I won't let him jump off the toilet and he stops when he actually is passing his BM.<br><br>
I tell you I dread "poop day" as it's so unpleasant for both of us. We talk about how everyone has to go poop and more often than once a week but nothing is helping so far.<br><br>
Also, he was like this when he was about 10-18 mos. So maybe it is a stage that will just pass and then recur once in a while.<br><br>
I feel like a labour coach holding him and telling him to keep pushing!<br><br>
I'm also anxious because we're going away next week to visit family/friends for 3 weeks and I'm dreading dealing with this away from home.<br><br>
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
we haven't had to deal with this, but my sister did with her child. One thing that helped them, other than time, was to up the fiber in his diet a bit. They also didn't negatively react, and then positively rewarded him when he finished his bit.<br>
Sounds like an ordeal for you guys, good luck, and I hope other mamas post some great advice for you!

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
We just went though this with my DS, who is 29 months old. It took about a month before fe finally started going regularly and on his own again - it also took a couple of days of giving him a glycerine suppository. It was a last resort, but it ended up working for us.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
We've done EC from birth. Although I haven't had to deal with your specific circumstances, our son has frequently refused to pee/poop in various places...like public toilets, our toilet...<br><br>
We just found a place that he was willing to go. Usually that was outside on a bush. That may not be your favorite place, but in your circumstance, it would seem better for all if you could make this fun. "Son, would you like to poop on the flowers?" Or maybe just ask him where he'd like to poop. Buy a bjorn little potty (or something similar) and see what he suggests. Maybe he'll suggest something convenient like a closet.<br><br>
Maybe take a bjorn little potty outside for him to sit on by the flowers. If he won't sit on it, just let him poop on the ground.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Does he also refuse to wear diapers? Because if my ds was in that situation I would assume he wasn't ready to put BMs in the potty yet. I would probably tell him to ask me for a diaper when he needed to poop, let him poop in the diaper, and try again with the potty when he was ready. Or diaper him around his regular pooping times and then let him go back to underwear afterward. This is how I treat my ds, with a very low stress method of potty training. I am sure he will get the hang of it as he grows and matures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts