Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my lil guy is 27 hours old,, how often and long should he be eating?? He seems to 'like' to wait like FOUR hours between nursing, then he will nurse for 20-40mins. His latch isnt great but its not horrible either, definatley bareable if that helps.
He nursed four an HOUR after he wa born!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I think it is highly variable.

Some babies need a rest and recovery after birth and don't nurse a whole bunch. Some babies nurse constantly and some are in the middle.

My ds nursed twice his second day. But, he was latched on for five hours each time. He was a big baby and I think he wanted to make sure I had a big supply.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Good for you mama, to be giving your baby what he deserves!!

There is no 'set' time limit, every baby is different. Does he seem satisfied after nursing? Is he peeing and pooping? Lots of wet diapers? Remember, you have 2 breasts, one for each baby if you had 2, so you could totally nourish your son on one breast if you wanted to (but you'd be loopsided, ha!).
Just use your best judgement, if he is nursing on one side and falls asleep, he's done. If he pulls off with a look of pure contentment (the BEST look in the world!), he's done. Sometimes they are getting a 'drink', sometimes a 'meal', because the milk in the beginning is the foremilk and the milk towards the end of a nursing session is the fatty hindmilk. Don't watch clocks, clocks are not your friend right now
, watch your baby, he will let you know when he is full or not thirsty anymore, his metabolism will determine how often he needs to eat, if that makes sense. You will probably get a better-written response from someone else.

I am just a mom, a former L&D RN, but mom to 3 now, all nursed, still nursing my 15 month old and loving it. I tell you, there is NO greater 'mom' moment than nursing your baby. No other feeling is more 'motherly' than breastfeeding, I should know, I gave up after only 3 months on my first child and I regretted it almost immediately. It gets SO easy after a couple months, hang in there and it will fly by, just take it day to day and come here OFTEN for support!!

Great job mom!!!
http://www.bluemoonlaser.com/breastf...%20sc%20xm.htm

PS the above website is a mom who makes breastfeeding "Babys First Christmas" ornaments, they are precious and cheap! I don't know her, just found her site and wanted to share it with you new moms!!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Hey there, mama, congratulations on your new babe!
: I am here, watching to see how everything goes for you. You have gotten good responses from the other ladies, I have nothing to add there, but you know where to find me if there is ANYTHING I can do for you! I am so proud of you already!
You can do it!

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
You sound like you're doing great. CONGRATULATIONS

I agree that watching the clock can be kinda nightmarish for some moms but I do think it's important to keep the timings in mind for the first few days. Watching the clock to see if you should not feed him yet ie. "he shouldn't be hungry, he just ate an hour ago" is not a healthy approach. But watching the clock to see that he is not sleeping too long between feedings is very important. Often, a newborn will be a "sleepy baby" and need encouragement to wake and feed. If it feels like he is sleeping too long, wake him up and feed him. If he is falling asleep after a minute or so on the breast more often than not, you may need to keep him awake by rubbing his head or playing with his feet to keep him nursing. I remember with my first baby lying in bed nursing (when I finallyfigured out how to do it lying down....oh the bliss) and we both would fall asleep and sometimes TWO HOURS later, I'd wake up and he'd still be latched and doing that feathery sleepy suck. OH so lovely to be his pacifier

It sounds like he's nursing well when he does nurse. 20-40 mins. is a good average. The frequency will probably change when your milk comes in.
A good philosophy in my opinion is "The more, the better".

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You know what? There's been a lot of good feedback in this thread, but I have to disagree. I'd be worried that he wans't getting enough to clear out all the mec and that might lead to extra sleepiness and problems later.

I would let him sleep as long as he wanted at night, and at least try to feed him every two hours during the day. You're up anyway, and you want to make sure he's got the whole nursing thing down as well as possible by the time your milk comes in, as well as ensuring that you start out with an adequate supply, and sleepy babies in the first few days can interfere with that if left to their own devices.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Mamajama and plantmama are right on!

When I wrote my post I was thinking along the lines of "my baby shouldn't be hungry he just ate" clock-watching type of thinking. BUT, at 27 hours old he should be nursing 8-12 times in 24 hours (is that right, I don't remember the exact recommendation).

All the other stuff I said applies to your baby once he's out of his 'baby sleep' mode those first few days.

Enjoy!! It's the greatest feeling to know he is growing ALL because of YOU.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
oooo sore bruised nipple. I know the feeling. It is very common to have a better latch on the right side at first. Not sure if it is if you're right handed or something, someone else may know! But for some reason it is very common.

Work on getting his mouth nice and wide before pushing his face to your breast. It will take practice but will definately improve.
As far as pain goes, not sure if you want to take anything but my midwife gave me ibuprophin (sp?) and it helped take the edge off. Air drying helps too for chapped feelings but it sounds like more of a latch issue in your case. The nipple is not getting far enough back in his mouth. Gotta go, kids calling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.