Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was born in January 2003, my mother was a lamaze teacher back in the late 70's early 80's so I grew up with the notion of natural drug-free birthing. Anyway I took prenatal classes, read about 20+ books, skipping over the c-section parts because I was convinced this wouldn't apply to me.

I had a midwife attended birth, aiming at the time for home birth. Everything went splendidly, my water broke at a friends' place at about 7pm one evening, we finished dinner and then went home. Tried to sleep contractions started to get powerful in the middle of the night. The midwife arrived at my house about 6am the next day, I was 7cm dilated already! Looking good! Problem was in Ontario the law is that there must be 2 midwives present at a birth, all other midwives were at other births (full moon, everyone was having babies at that time...) so I agreed to transfer to the hospital. Which again was fine, the nurses/doctors left us alone, it was my partner & the midwife only in a birthing room with me, no interventions. Kept labouring, happy for a minute that I was in the hospital because I threw up very suddenly - no warning at all!

Things began to get hairy after 24 hours of the waters breaking and still no baby. They gave me an IV and pitocin, that blasted fetal heart monitor (ugh I HATEDthis felt soooooo uncomfortable, the heart rate didn't slow though) Still no pain drugs which was the way I wanted it. More pitocin, it was almost as if the pitocin SLOWED and weakened my contractions not speeded them up. I felt that drug was useless for me. Basically the hospital intervened and said that now there was increased risk of infection because of so long with waters broken and failure to progress. I was pretty exhausted at this point and I kept waiting for that uncontrollable urge to push that never came. I still was convinced I would be pushing this baby out. Boy did I try. I ended up with a c-section, because, and they only found this out AFTER the section, the baby was occipital posterior and had the cord wrapped around his neck tightly twice. I remember my midwife checking for the front and back soft spots on his head while he was still inside me..

Recovery was awful, long, painful, unexpected. I was under the impression that many women could deliver posterior babies! Was it the cord around his neck that prevented this??? Anyway, now I'm 19 week prega with my second child. I have the same midwives, they are willing to do a home birth VBAC for me, which I will aim for. But I'm very nervous, especially reading all these different scenarios....I just want a short labour and that the baby just flies out of me this time around!! Wishful thinking I guess.

Wish me luck with a VBAC this time.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I hope you get the VBAC you so desperately want! I have been there, I know what you're going through. Your description reminded me a lot of my situation. I remember skipping over those c/s parts, too.
My first baby was also OP and I think it might have contributed to my difficulties, but I think most of the blame goes to the (s)OB. And to me, for being so naive. But anyway..
As a matter of fact, he also had the cord wrapped around his neck, but I'm not sure how much that had to do with the c/s.. I know a lot of babies are born with that.
I went in for the c/s because of baby's heart decelerations during my contractions, but he was perfectly fine with a 9,9 on his apgar.

My second baby was also OP. I tried to prevent this by watching my posture, trying to never sit in a position that would encourage a posterior baby (check spinning babies for info on that), but she was.. she turned while I was in active labor (smart baby!
) and I had a beautiful VBAC with her.
So I wish you the best in your journey to VBAC- I think the most important thing is to have a supportive care provider. I think a HUGE reason why I was successful with my VBAC was because I switched part-way through my pregnancy (24 weeks or so) to an amazing group of midwives.
They were so supportive and were there to lift my spirits when I was even 10 days past my due date

So I'm glad to hear that you have some great midwives there to support you.
Good luck

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arien
I still was convinced I would be pushing this baby out. Boy did I try. I ended up with a c-section, because, and they only found this out AFTER the section, the baby was occipital posterior and had the cord wrapped around his neck tightly twice.
I had my second son via c/s due to a cord around his neck. My midwives, the backup OB, and I tried everything to get him to come out vaginally. Even though I was at a 10 and pushing, he just wouldn't come down. We couldn't even get him to come down enough to use a vacuum. Once the c/s was done, we found out my son had a short cord that was around his neck tight twice. His Apgars were 7 and 9, but he did have very little body fat even though he was a few days past due. One midwife suggested that the cord had been tight even before I went into labor, to the point it may have not been given my son enough nutrition, hence the lack of body fat. Of course, they couldn't prove this at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arien
Recovery was awful, long, painful, unexpected. I was under the impression that many women could deliver posterior babies! Was it the cord around his neck that prevented this??? Anyway, now I'm 19 week prega with my second child. I have the same midwives, they are willing to do a home birth VBAC for me, which I will aim for. But I'm very nervous, especially reading all these different scenarios....I just want a short labour and that the baby just flies out of me this time around!! Wishful thinking I guess.

Wish me luck with a VBAC this time.
My c/s recovery was also long and very painful. My incision got infected and about an inch of it wouldn't close. So my husband had to pack and clean it 3 times a day while I took antibiotics.

To answer your question, I believe it most likely was the cord that caused your problems. Since I had my first son vaginally, I just couldn't understand why I couldn't push my second one out. I pushed with all my strength, but yet I had a sensation of something holding me back. Its impossible to truly describe, but I figure my body knew better.

I too, am hoping for a VBAC for this pregnancy. My mantra this time around has been "Just this once, can I have a normal labor and delivery?" I just want to go into labor AT HOME rather than get induced or have a section or something. Unfortunately, my husband and I have moved since our last birth, so there are no midwives in this area. However, my OB seems very supportive of VBAC and I have arranged for a doula. I have my birth plan all written out (and it includes c/s instructions) and I am bringing it to my next appointment. Keep your fingers crossed that I can get my wishes for no IV, intermittent EFM, and eat and drink as I want.

Good luck with your VBAC!

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Arien,
I wish you better luck with your vbac. A bit annnoying about the 2 midwives rule. Can you find out from them how often this happens, and since you have already experienced hospital transfer because of this, perhaps it can be another momma this time around?

The 24 hour rule regarding infection is sometimes absurd. All the hospital germs and VEs and people not washing hands will not help you. But if you are really early, they let you go a lot longer than 24 hours after water breaks. Why? Risks to babys health a lot higher than risk of infection. Think about it. If you are ontime, they like a flat 24 hour rule for insurance. But if you keep clean, wipe front to back, and don't let anyones hands up there, then you can go a lot longer. Some also misguidingly say not to get into water (no waterbirth) after broken waters. Yea, I wouldn't get into the local swiming pool, but your own tub in your own home is a different matter.

Could you look into what stats are for having next baby with short cord? If it is so short and wrapped, maybe cesarean is the only and or best option. And I know malpositioned babies can be born, even if it is more of a pain in the back! However, I think it is a combination. 1st time mom, malpositioned head, plus very large head circumfrence, is going to have a lot tougher, even impossible, time getting babe out. Whereas perhaps 2nd time mom with averaged sized babys head will have a tough, but more possible birth. OK, some people on this forum may shoot me for this last comment, but it is only my opinion.

I wish you luck. And since no two births are the same, perhaps you'll have a peaceful, smooth going homebirth. And if unfortunately not, then at least you are prepared about cesarean; therefore it will not be such of a shock or trauma. Happy birthing.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I too skipped over all the CS parts because it wouldn't happen to me because I was EDUCATED

Anyway, I have had 2 CS now, both for posterior babies. Last one I was going for an HBAC.
Actually, its a small percentage of babies that are actually born posterior (OP). Most OP babies do end up turning at some point in labor or pushing, but those that remain persistantly posterior have a high chance of ending up as a c-section, due to the fact that the biggest part of their head is presenting and it doesn't mold in the same way as a nice anterior baby. Additionally, babies born directly OP have a higher chance of causing 4th degree tears for the same reason. Since your water broke first, your baby also didn't have that nice cushion of water to still maneuver and turn in.
I hate the posterior position. With a fiery passion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts