Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to the forum although I've been enjoying mothering for a couple years. Just want to share my experiences with this pregnancy so far.

I had a C-section with my first for "arrest of dilation", I felt like I never had a chance, every hospital intervention and very little support. My second birth was a perfect all natural VBAC in a nice small hospital. Dream birth and labored mostly in the tub. I thought this birth healed me. But I can't stop thinking about my first birth now that I am pregnant again. It is getting better as time goes on, but still present in my thoughts every day, I keep thinking about the details of what happened and feeling angry about how I was treated.

Also, on a different note- at my anatomy scan last month the report came back that a part of the baby's heart was measuring small so I am going to get an echocardiogram this week to see what's up. Her heartbeat is fine. I am going back and forth from being very worried, to feeling like everything is probably fine.

Does anyone want to share some experiences on these topics? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi! I'm on my second pregnancy, hoping for a VBAC this time around (I think you replied to my post on an earlier thread). I did a lot of research to find a hospital (small, simple country place) that has a really great approach and record for VBACs. I still will need to be monitored and will not be able to have a water birth, but I feel pretty good that I'm giving myself a better chance there than other places I've looked at in my area.

One of the many things I've talked about with my doctor is a doula; I brought it up and he immediately had a very positive reaction and said it could only help increase my chances of a successful VBAC. Another thing we talked about in our initial interview was overall approach; I asked him why his VBAC success rate was so much higher than others that I've seen. His response was multifaceted but one of the interesting things was that he's a family practitioner that delivers babies, as opposed to a OB/GYN, and that OBs tend to come from a practice of "looking for something wrong" as opposed to his practice (and generally the midwifery model of care) where he is prepared for anything but generally takes a positive view that the process is healthy and normal. That being said, I had previously been working with a midwife at another hospital (during the beginning of this pregnancy) and felt that she was much more aligned with the former, more clinical type of care.

We recently also had our 20 week ultrasound, and while things looked good with the baby, my placenta is low (though doesn't seem to be covering the cervix) so I'll require another ultrasound later on. This is pretty scary as there were some issues with the placenta the first time around, which my former midwife believes contributed to my daughter's heartrate decelerations and ultimately the emergency c-section. Also my Dr. didn't advocate one way or another, but we talked about the blood test for chromosomal abnormalities that can be taken soon, and as I'm 35 I'm a little torn whether or not to take it (it would mainly be to give myself and partner time to become more educated if an abnormality were to show up). Anyone have any experience with these?

I hope things go well with the echocardiogram... it's so mind boggling isn't it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes! Having a doula was so important in my VBAC. She was so helpful to both me and my husband and seemed to know exactly what to suggest at every moment. I remember I threw up at one point and she was already there with a bag she just knew. Also, a good care provider that you trust and listens to you whether that be a doctor or midwife I think is so important.

Unfortunately it is looking like we will not be able to afford a doula this time around, but I love my midwife so I am mostly happy. I just don't want to be strapped to the bed or pressured into things, because I know my body needs to be free to do its thing. Things went so well with my last VBAC I feel like how could it be so perfect again. But I have to believe that it will.

So my plan is to stay home and labor for as long as possible, and not step foot in the hospital till I am well on my way. Last time the doula helped me figure out when that was, I labored in her office for a couple hours till she said "OK I think we should go now" . This time I am relying on my own instinct an experience. Once I stop cracking jokes and get serious I will go in.

I sometimes wonder if these tests cause more trouble than good, just with the stress of thinking something is wrong. Of course, it's good to know so you can be prepared. But really, what can you do about it even if something is wrong.. If everything goes well tomorrow, I think I will just be so happy and relieved that the birth will not even seem as a big of a deal. If she is healthy I know I am so lucky no matter what :)

Did they say the placenta could move again at this point? My midwife just said they check to make sure it wasn't covering the cervix. Mine is somewhere near the back they said at the ultrasound. Best of luck to you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.