Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd just turned 3.
In May, we had to have her two top middle teeth extracted. At that time, the dentist said that her 2nd year molars were not completely in, so we needed to wait another month before installing a kiddie partial. (The partial is two fake teeth attached to a wire that is attached to metal bands that go around the 2nd year molars.)
In June, the dentist said they still weren't in far enough and said to come back 6 months. I asked to come in 3 months for a check instead. So we just went and he said that they still aren't in far enough.
The molars are definitely in, but the back has not emerged very far beyond the gum line.
So tonight I was looking at my back molars and realized that my molars look the same way. My dh's otoh, are fully beyond the gum line...
So I am wondering if dd's 2nd yr molars are in as far as they are going to go????? It has been 4 months since we removed her two front teeth and now I am feeling anxious about getting them replaced. I thought we were only going to be waiting for a month!
So can anyone tell me how their kids molars look around this age?
Sometimes I just feel like I am being put off by this dentist....I made an appointment to see the one other dentist under my insurance on this island, to get a second opinion, but it's not until mid-November.
Dd looks like a 7 yr old in a 3 yr old body right now!
: She doesn't seem to mind. Every once in a while she mentions that the dentist is going to give her some more teeth, but she still smiles all the time and never complains. I just want to see her toothy smile again

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
My dd is 4, the back of her molars extends about 3 mm (1/8") from the gums. hth

two of my own wisdom teeth never outed all the way.

T and thanks so much for always posting here and guiding everybody everywhere. sometimes I read a bit (my life is still so hectic that i don't go much beyond lurking nak
), but i simply never know anything you haven't already said

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I can't answer your specific question, but I am wondering why they need to wait at all. My son only has his first set of molars, and when dentists have discussed with me that waiting and pulling the front teeth is an option (instead of fixing them now), I was told that he could have a kiddie partial even now. This would be attached to the first molars; I was told this is fine and there would be no need to wait for the 2 year molars to come in.

Hope you get some answers wih your second opinion.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh Simonee, I still learn things by reading your posts in the archives!!!!
It certainly takes the whole circle to keep these boards flowin'! Especially with so many newborns joining us!
I've been checking out your photos. Sweet, sweet!

One of dd's is the same~3mm, the other is slightly less.
Slightly Crunchy, I also thought that the 1st molars were a possibility, but my dentist said, "no, that can't be done." Maybe cuz the second ones are already in??? (Have been since the extractions) Her teeth on one side are pretty tight fitting, so maybe it wouldn't be possible to get the band around the teeth. Hmmmmm....I wonder if that band goes all the way around...I assumed so....
Thank you both for your responses....
Anybody else out there with kiddie partials and/or 2nd yr molars in.....

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Smilemomma...

Just one of the molars is in 3 mm. The other is still emerging in the back....patience, patience, patience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts